The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Sharing Photos Over a Network

by toosday / March 13, 2008 3:02 PM PDT

Hi Buzz Boards,
I'm been asking around for suggestions about Mac OS apps that allow users to share photos over a network. Only one person would need to add photos, but everyone in the house would need to be able to see them, if possible. (It helps if the app has some sort of organizations, such as keywords or tagging, but it's not required.)

I've been searching around to try to find a hack for iPhoto that would let my roomie and I share photos over our network. I've found some really good tips that require me to use The Terminal - but I must admit that I am totally not that savvy. Plus, iPhoto requires that the host's software be open in order to share.

Any ideas? Gracias!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sharing Photos Over a Network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sharing Photos Over a Network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
more detail?
by 22.smith / March 15, 2008 4:26 PM PDT

Could you be a little clearer on what you want to do?

You don't really need an application to share files on a network. You could expose the directory on your mac as a samba share, or as FTP, or using apples own protocol (afp, afs or somesuch).

In any case, the machine that stores the imageswill need to be on, and the application that does the sharing (ftpd, smbd, etc.) will need to be on, but once you configure file sharing, those are background processes that remain on.

There are fancier solutions, such as media servers, but you really only get a big benefit from a media server in sharing to other things that are not computers (TV, xbox, digital picture frame, etc.) If the other boxes viewing the pictures are computers, any simple network file sharing should do the trick with little headache.

If your mac is leopard, go to System Preferences > File Sharing. If it's older, the sharing might be somewhere else. I think it was under networking at one time, but i don't recall when that changed.

Collapse -
iPhoto Sharing?
by toosday / March 16, 2008 4:17 AM PDT
In reply to: more detail?

Thanks for the reply. Here's a little more detail...
My roommate and I are working on a personal project (turning still photos into a narrative story to be played at a pal's wedding reception) and I am trying to organize our photos by either tagging them or adding keywords. I am choosing this method of organizing the photos because some of the photos can go into multiple categories. For example, there's a photo that show's my pal with her fianc

Collapse -
Try FolderShare
by mattadata / March 16, 2008 12:08 PM PDT

Check out It is a tool that syncs two folders on two or more computers across the internet or a LAN in real time. I don't know much about iPhoto, but if the 'tag' data is stored in a file or folder, then it can be replicated too. FYI - I do this exact same thing on 4 Windows machines with Picasa from Google.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?