Computer Newbies forum

Question

Sharing one external hard drive between 3 computers

Hi,

I just got 2 new computers for Christmas, and I have a fairly new laptop as well. I wondered if there is a way to have a 2tb hard drive connected via usb to my main pc (that is on all the time) to share with the other 2 computers.

All 3 pcs run windows 7 64 bit, 2 are hard wired (desktop pcs) one is wireless (laptop) via att internet.

Hopefully all 3 being windows 7 64 bit and all being wired will help make this a bit easier but I am not sure how or where to start...

Mainly the things on that 2 tb that I want to share between the computers are music, pictures and some video files.

Thanks for any help on this.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sharing one external hard drive between 3 computers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sharing one external hard drive between 3 computers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Piece of cake

In reply to: Sharing one external hard drive between 3 computers

While I won't offer step by step, I can give the basics. All you need to do is have all three PCs networked and in the same workgroup or in a Windows 7 "home group". You decide which PC will host the external drive, connect it and set it up to be shared. You will want all PCs to have at least one user with the same password. You can set up all 3 PCs identically in that regard if you wish and this will simplify the authentication process when a person attempts to access the drive. That's the basics of it. Good luck.

Collapse -
Small addendum

In reply to: Piece of cake

I said you needed at least one user on each to have the same password. I clarify that to mean that the username and password needs to be identical on each.

Collapse -
Answer
I have the setup . . .

In reply to: Sharing one external hard drive between 3 computers

that Steven mentions. I can share my external USB3 drive among all PCs. What I have found though is if I turn off the external drive it looses its share.

Collapse -
That happens when Windows

In reply to: I have the setup . . .

"rediscovers" the drive each time it's restarted. Thus, it's like the two just met. I don't know what causes this but It does not happen on my system. Now, if I move an external drive to another USB port that might happen.

Collapse -
almost there...

In reply to: That happens when Windows

Ok I think I am very close, on the main pc I created a homegroup and on
the secondary pc and laptop i joined that homegroup using the password
given by the main pc.

On that main pc under sharing i checked everything and streaming video
stuff, but on the other 2 pcs when I go to my computer / homegroup and
click on the name of the homegroup origin pc i am not seeing all my
content.

Seems like it is just sharing things that would be in the windows
default for pics or videos etc, (samples and one or two small things I
have in there), on that main pc most of my content is stored via the
external 2tb drive.

I saw a video on youtube about sharing files or folders so on the main
pc under my computer I went to the 2tb drive and hit share but i didnt
see options to share it with homegroup like the video showed it just had
advanced options and i clicked around in those but didnt see anything
that let me share that 2tb drive with the homegroup.

So I know I am getting closer but still need a bit of help telling the
main homegroup pc what to share folders wise with the others in the
group.

Collapse -
got it

In reply to: almost there...

Apparently I had done it right but was looking in the wrong area, under my computer to left side i was looking under homegroup, looking farther down I saw network and clicked the main pc there and saw the 2tb drive so it seems to be setup and working now !!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
So tell us ...

In reply to: almost there...

did you do as instructed and make sure that ALL THREE of the computers have an identical user account? For instance if you have a user JohnBoy with a password of Walton on the original computer do you have a user JohnBoy with the password Walton on the second computer and another JohnBoy user account with the Walton password on computer 3 too?

Note, you should log on to each computer at least once with that new JohnBoy account so it actually gets created because until the user logs on the account doesn't show up.

If you still can't share try the edit shown in this post:
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6122_102-246730/how-to-share-a-usb-external-hard-drive-on-a-home-network/#message3230783

Collapse -
homegroup

In reply to: So tell us ...

all three are joined to the main pcs homegroup with the same homegroup password but the user name on each system is different, the sharing stuff all does seem to be working tho, just glad to be able to pull up music and video stuff from the main pc (in a den) to the tv/pc in the livingroom and off the laptop vs having to go around pc to pc and move files constantly (and no space on laptop or tv/pc to move it all).

so this networking thing really makes life simpler...

Collapse -
Forgot to think about this

In reply to: homegroup

I would make sure your external drive was partitioned and formatted by your hosting PC's Win7 utility as NTFS. It it came as FAT-32 and you left it that way, you might run into some odd sharing and/or permission issues.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.