Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Sharing internet through a VPN connection

by Santana2 / July 14, 2005 6:33 PM PDT

Hi all,

We have a small home network of two PCs . We share folders, a printer and internet all under Windows XP ICS. (The internet comes in to our home through a wireless antenna on the roof + an ethernet down cable.)

One pc (my son's) is the main one where the internet connection comes in and the other pc is connected to the first by a second network card and a small hub.

Life was beautiful until one day the internet man came over and changed the connection between our home and his site into a VPN one, gave us a user name, a password and left.

Now the second computer (my daughter's) can't see the internet.

Can some body pls. tell me what can I do so that both computers share the internet connection again.

Thanx

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sharing internet through a VPN connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sharing internet through a VPN connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
To make it work you need a router.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2005 10:47 PM PDT

The common dlink, linksys router will allow the sharing to take place and the VPN to be from their machine to the workplace.

If you research what a VPN is, it would not be a VPN if you were able to tap it's internet connection. You won't see me try to help you do this since it's part of the design of VPN. I can't teach you what a VPN is, in this small space.

Bob

Collapse -
Sharing internet throught a vpn connection
by Santana2 / July 17, 2005 6:35 PM PDT

Hi Bob,
Thanx for your reply.
Could you pls. add some details as to what kind of a router to buy (features it should have)because I've been told that routers are not all the same. Furthermore, pls. advise on where to install the router. Does it come between the ISP and my main computer or between my main and second computer?

Pls excuse my ignorance with VPNs. I am a telecomm. engineer though, but my area is in micro-wave and propagation. I'm simply not a LAN, WAN man.

Cheers

Collapse -
Router. A commodity item.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2005 9:51 PM PDT

Sadly, I won't detail what these commodity items are. Dlink, Linksys and others will be at the store and you pick one up for as little as 20 bucks and hookup, configure and use. I also don't duplicate the manuals for the products since ... it's all for you to pour over at linksys.com, dlink.com and other sites.

-> Some want me to pick a model. Sadly, with it being a commodity its not unlike picking out a 60 Watt lightbulb?

Where it installs is ... in the manual. You can download it in advance if you feel the need.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.