Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Sharing files laptop and desktop over wireless network

by jscard / November 16, 2004 10:26 AM PST

I apologize in advance if this has been covered ad nauseum, but I'm having problems using briefcase over XP and sharing files between my desk and lap. I'm running Norton antivirus and realize the firewall may be an issue, but I'm pretty green regarding networking and don't really have workgroups set up. I need very basic, step by step specific walk through. If some good Samaritan would be so kind or if someone could point me to another link or thread that has already covered this I'd be very grateful. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sharing files laptop and desktop over wireless network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sharing files laptop and desktop over wireless network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Sharing files laptop and desktop over wireless network
by pcalisse / November 16, 2004 12:02 PM PST

did you get any reply. I would be very happy if you could share it on the forum. Thanks

Collapse -
by jscard / November 17, 2004 10:50 PM PST

I have not gotten a reply, unfortunately. The search goes on......... Please let me know if you solve this, too!

Collapse -
Just sharing. Briefcase failed for me,so I don't use it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2004 10:55 PM PST

If you feel it should work, then you'll have to call it's mother.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Just sharing. Briefcase failed for me,so I don't use it
by jscard / November 18, 2004 7:58 PM PST

I'm certainly not wedded to briefcase. I'm just looking to be able to share data files between the dektop and laptop. Is there another program/solution you would suggest?

Thanks!

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2004 8:36 PM PST

I've resorted to a simple directory system.

I setup a directory that when I'm about to leave I copy that to my laptop. Then when I get back, I copy from the laptop to the desktop.

For me, the simplest solution works.

Bob

Collapse -
by jscard / November 19, 2004 4:27 AM PST

Not to beat the hell out of a dead horse, but do you just copy the files over on disk or via hardware, as suggested somewhere else on this thread? I'd love to be able to do it over a wire, but I'm not sure what the setup needs to be. I'm reading about a null modem cable or something, and tried to just hook a network cable from one to the other, but the only thing that seems to happen is I pick up the wireless connection from my laptop on my desk and see no link to the other computer!

Collapse -
by David Chan / November 17, 2004 11:09 PM PST

You can get all the info on Briefcase in XP's Help & Support section by simply typing Briefcase in Search.

But your basic issue is that you have not set up a Home Network between your Desktop & Laptop.

This has to be done so you can share files between the two computers.

From your post it seems you already have a wireless router as your Laptop is wireless capable.

So all you need to do is to make them both belong to the same Workgroup.
This can be done by either of the two methods:
1. Run the Home Networking Wizard in XP.
2. Right-click My Computer | Properties | Computer Name and create your workgroup for both computers.

Then you need to enable File Sharing.

Since you have added Norton Firewall to the configuration you'll have to configure it by adding your router IP address to the Trusted Zone and your Network will be accessible by both computers.

Collapse -
by Themisive / November 18, 2004 11:56 PM PST

Unless you are nearby, DON'T use a wireless connection, they are unsafe, either use a LAN cable for transfer or use floppys or even CR-RW or DVD-RW to transfer the data - much safer.

There are quite a few other ways of doing this, but these are the simplist, and I think that if you look, you'll find that both the laptop and the computer have RJ45 sockets all you now need is a hub and a couple of legths of LAN cable, and away you go, much more secure than a wireless system.

Collapse -
by jscard / November 19, 2004 2:51 AM PST

I tried to hook a LAN cable between the two and neither seemed to recognize the other, although I picked up the wireless signal from my laptop through my desktop doing that! I'm very green when it comes to this, so I'm sure I'm missing something. Besides plugging the cable into each computer, what else would I need to do?

Collapse -
by David Chan / November 19, 2004 6:31 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!