Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Sharing files and printers between a PC and MAC.

First, let me say, I'm very impressed with the knowledge of the members here. Last weeks question about sharing files and printer between PCs prompted my own question. I have a MAC G4 OS 10.2 hooked up to a HP SmartJet printer. I also have a Fujitsu laptop PC running XP Pro. They're both on a Linksys wireless network. My question is does anyone know if it's possible to share files and the printer between the MAC and my laptop. If so, how would I go about doing that? Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sharing files and printers between a PC and MAC.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sharing files and printers between a PC and MAC.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes it is possible

In reply to: Sharing files and printers between a PC and MAC.

Hi Rhender105,
Yes it is possible to setup file sharing between the 2 over your network. Windows isnt very "friendly" with non-windows computers so your non-windows computers have to trick windows into thinking its just another windows pc.
The way this is done is via Samba. Samba is used in Linux and MacOSX environments to allow sharing of files.

I dont have the exact instructions for MacOSX but I'm sure Apple's website provides good information about it (I've seen it there somewhere before). I may not be a MacOSX user currently but I use Linux (which both run off Unix environment) and they use a lot of the same technics and programs.

Hope this helps! Happy

Collapse -
Agreed

In reply to: Yes it is possible

Select a folder to share on the XP machine, say My Documents, and share it.
Go to the Mac and "connect to server" and you should see the XP machine there. Double click, enter the username of the XP user and the password and it should just connect.
I connect to a W2K machine with no problem.

Hope this helps too

P

Collapse -
Sharing files works great!

In reply to: Agreed

mrmacfixit,

Thanks for the advice. Tried it. Works great. Because of my work environment, I have to work with PC's most of the time. So I have to have a PC at home. My wife is a graphic designer, so her world is MACs. She gets to have all the fun. Happy Of course, I'm on the Mac every chance I get. Anyway, at home I'm the go to guy when it comes to anything tech. Lately, my wife has been having trouble with applications quitting unexpectedly. Safari, IE, Photoshop, Quark, and others. She has a G4 mirrored front tower. Running OS X 10.2.8. Do you have any idea how I would go about investigating/fixing this problem. Thanks for any help.

Rickey

Collapse -
Repair Permissions

In reply to: Sharing files works great!

using the Disk Utility in the Applications/Utilities folder.
That's a start.
Disk Warrior is a must have for Mac users. It is a directory rebuilder.
Download Onyx and run the routines in that.
In a worst cast scenario, a Clean Archive and Install will replace the system with a new one and save all your data and settings.
Do NOT start deleting things you do not recognize Happy

P

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.