Mac OS forum

General discussion

Sharing external HD mixed home network

by bill2reg / November 11, 2008 2:02 AM PST

I have a Mac G3 running Tiger with two external firewire drives daisy-chained and formatted for FAT32 on my home network with a desktop PC running XP with an external USB drive and a notebook running Vista. Sharing the XP external drive was a piece of cake.......just right-click on the drive, drop down box to "Sharing" and click it then turn on sharing, and I have full read/write capabilites from any machine. However, on the Mac it's not happening. I can log onto the Mac from any other machine on the network as Admin, but only the desktop shows up for sharing. Even though both of the Mac's external drive icons are on the Mac desktop, they don't appear on the desktop when logged on at one of the other machines on the network. I have turned on winoows sharing on the Mac. Is it even possible to share drives on a Mac?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sharing external HD mixed home network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sharing external HD mixed home network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Of course it is.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 11, 2008 8:07 AM PST

When you log into the Mac from a PC, you have to log in as a user with an account on the Mac.
Then all the drive will be available to you. They do not appear on the desktop but as a share when you first attempt a logon.

When I was doing this, I mapped a drive on the XP machine to be an external drive that was attached to the Mac.

I assume you have File Sharing turned on

P

Collapse -
More info
by bill2reg / November 12, 2008 6:52 AM PST
In reply to: Of course it is.

I do log in as a Mac user with an account. I am not sure what you mean by "file sharing" being turned on. I do not see this option on the Mac - only Windows Sharing, which is turned on. I have no idea what you mean by mapping the drive to the XP machine. Could you explain further please? Thank you.

Collapse -
Sharing
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 12, 2008 8:53 AM PST
In reply to: More info

On the Mac, you have to enable File Sharing, not just "Allow Windows users to connect" (This is not an option in 10.5 as it is a default.
You will find File Sharing in the Sharing Pane of System preferences (10.4 & 10.5)

Mapping a drive is done from the XP machine. Right click on My Computer and you should see "Map a Drive" as an option. (been a long time since I did this and the XP box is no longer running on my network)
Go through the steps and browse the network for your Mac. You should find all the available drives listed separately.
It will require a username and password to connect. Once connected, the Mac drive will appear in My Computer as a "lettered" drive, just like your "C" drive or "D" drive. The letter does not matter, you get to choose what letter you want when you start the Mapping process.

P

Collapse -
FIle sharing is on
by bill2reg / November 14, 2008 9:40 PM PST
In reply to: Sharing

Both file sharing and windows sharing are turned on (Checkmark in both boxes and no others). When I log on to the Mac from my windows machine it asks only for username and password and then connects. When I try to map the drive it does not show up. Maybe my version of Tiger doesn't allow sharing of the external drives. I don't know what else to do other than just forgetting about it and get a big (1TB) drive for the Windows XP desktop and then share that over my home network. It's so easy to share with windows that it may be the only solution. Thanks for trying though!

Collapse -
As I said,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 14, 2008 10:43 PM PST
In reply to: FIle sharing is on

that's the way I did it.

I'll drag the XP box out this weekend and see the exact steps and let you know.

P

Collapse -
Too many Honey Do's
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 19, 2008 8:55 PM PST
In reply to: As I said,

for last weekend.
Hopefully I'll get a spare hour this coming one

P

Collapse -
No problem
by bill2reg / November 21, 2008 7:09 PM PST
In reply to: Too many Honey Do's

Whenever you can it will be fine. Meanwhile, I have found so much conflicting information...........log into the Mac's network address 192.168.1.2 etc. (doesn't work).......try to connect to smb// etc on the Mac and then Map the drive in XP (no luck there) or sharepoints....but too many things are involved with that and only for files (at least it says that in the description) and not the whole drive. Anyway, hope you have an easier weekend.

B

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks, I'll let you know
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 21, 2008 9:48 PM PST
In reply to: No problem
Collapse -
Here's how I did it
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 23, 2008 4:35 AM PST

try this:

On the iMac (10.5.5)
Set File Sharing on
In the "Allow access for" window check the Only these users button and make sure your name is there.
If you are using an OS less than 10.5, that option will not be there but there will be a Windows Sharing option.

On the XP box.
Right click My Computer and choose "Map a Drive"
In the next window, choose a drive letter. ie: Y
In the field below the drive letter, type the name of the share you want to connect to.

All my shares show up in My Network places.
You can also Browse at this point.

Type \\nameofshare\yourshortname (There are usually no spaces in this name)
If Jimmy Jones is your user name, then jimmyjones will be your shortname
You should then be asked for a password.
Type the name of the password that you use on the Mac.

You should see, after a brief delay, the contents of whatever share you logged onto.
You can continue to map the remainder of your shares in this way.

Works for me, let us know how you get on.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?