Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Sharing External Hard Drive?

I just attached a Seagate 160 GB External Hard Drive to my computer (Win 98SE) using a USB 2 port. My computer is hardwire networked with another computer running Win XP Pro. I hoped to be able to "see" the hard drive from both computers on the system, but I can't see it from the one with Win XP. How can I connect the hard drive so both computers can share the extra space (for mostly music and pictures). I currently have a hub instead of a router (that's just what I got years ago and it works) so each computer has its own address and link to the internet.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sharing External Hard Drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sharing External Hard Drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is the drive....

In reply to: Sharing External Hard Drive?

set to be shared?

Does the XP machine have SP2 installed?

Does 98 see the entire size of the drive?

Collapse -
Set to be Shared?

In reply to: Is the drive....

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I don't know what "set to be shared" means. That's what I'm wanting to do. Yes the XP computer has SP2 installed.
The Win 98 computer shows the external drive has 148 GB (although the packaging stated it was a 160 GB drive). I seem to remember reading somewhere that there was a maximum Win 98 could see/use.
I'm wanting to be able to see/use the drive from both computers although it's currently connected to the Win 98 computer. Is there some way I can reconfigure to do that?
Thanks, again.

Collapse -
Sharing drives.....

In reply to: Sharing External Hard Drive?

is as simple as:

1) having both PCs on the same workgroup
2) setting the drives properties to be shared (right click the drive in Windows Explorer and choose Share)
3) Look in My Network Places/Network Neighborhood for the shared drive.

''My computer is hardwire networked with another computer running Win XP Pro.''

This is where some will get tripped up by not having the proper cable. Describe this set up.

Collapse -
Now sharing external!

In reply to: Sharing drives.....

Yea! That was the problem. The drive was not set up to share, and I didn't know that needed to be done--or how to do it. Once I followed your instructions the problem is solved. I can now see the external hard drive and its files from both computers! Thanks so much. I would have never solved this without your help!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.