Mac OS forum

General discussion

Sharing DSL connection but NOT files between Mac and PC

by uckopka / April 28, 2005 1:00 AM PDT

Hi,

I have a Sony laptop that is connected to a 2WIRE modem for its DSL connection. My ISP is SBC. I'm moving to a new place. My future landlord, who lives on a second story of my new residence, wants to share my DSL connection. She has two or three computers, two of which are PC's and one Mac. She uses dial up at the moment. What does she need to buy in order to share my DSL connection? For example, does she have to buy a wireless card? If so, which one? How do you configure a Mac for a wireless connection? I know very little about Macs. Thank you beforehand for all replies.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sharing DSL connection but NOT files between Mac and PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sharing DSL connection but NOT files between Mac and PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Share Internet
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 28, 2005 6:22 AM PDT

What sort of Mac does she have?
What OS is it running. The details are required before I could tell you exactly if, or how, to fix it up. Configuring a Mac for wireless is very easy as long as it is capable of accepting an Airport card. If it is a newer one it will accept the Airport card and go wireless.
You will need a wireless router to handle all the machines. I guess you will also be using the 2 wire from SBC as your ISP in the new place. Connect the 2Wire modem to the wireless router with the Ethernet cable. if your machine is close to the router, connect to it using cat 5 cable.
All the other machines can go wireless, distance permitting.

Hope this help

P

Collapse -
Share Internet
by uckopka / April 29, 2005 12:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Share Internet

Hi mrmacfixit,

Thank you for your quick reply. Unfortunately, I don't know what Mac she has and what kind of OS it's running. Hopefully, we'll figure out how to configure it once we buy the necessary equipment. Thanks!!!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!