Question

Sharing Driver

I have a windows 7 PC connected to other Win XP computers on a home network. I have shared the Win7 computer and the other XP computers. from the win7 computer I can see and open files on the XP computers, but from the XP computers, I can see the drive in view workgroup computers but when I try to open it, it says connecting to and asks me for a username and password and when I enter name and password it does not connect.
However from the win7 pc I can see and open the drives on the other pcs

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Sharing Driver
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Sharing Driver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
When you see that prompt for username and pass

You know you forgot to create an account of said name on the server.

It's an old thing many forgot. Try that first.
Bob

- Collapse -
Sharing drive

The Win7 PC is logged on as Administrator and when I tr to connect thou the network I log on as administrator with the same password.

- Collapse -
Which is not allow in 7.

I see you are just beginning to learn Windows networking. What you need to do is to make the name of that new account the same as the one on the XP. Administrator is obviously locked out for security reasons.

Many balk at this so I won't explain at length the new changes but let's fix it.
Bob

- Collapse -
make the name of that new account the same as the one on the

Please explain in detail how to do this on the Win7 and XP machines. Do you mean create two new accounts on the Win7 and XP with the same name and password.Yes you are right I am just begining to learn Win 7. and need a lot of help. On XP neworking was different.
Thanks

- Collapse -
Just explained it.

If you can't create accounts as the same name and password as the remove users (clients) then I fear you need to spend more time on books about networking.

Did you want a step by step on account creation? If so, then I fear you need support at your location.
Bob

- Collapse -
Yes, that is the recommended method

I had to do this with my own Win 7 PC and an older Windows XP PC.

On one, the older Windows XP system, I created a new Admin capable User Account that had exactly the same username and password as the one I have on the Win 7 system.

I then rebooted the XP computer and logged in with that new account, and with Windows 7 booted up I ran the home network wizard on the Win 7 system. That seemed to work for me, and now when I boot up both, I don't need to boot up the XP system with this newer account, just boot it up normally. But when I want to access either, I am asked for a username and password, and enter those details.

This always seems to be the best method of networking, even in XP days. See if it works for you.

Mark

- Collapse -
Sharing works Now

I created a new account on the Win7 and got it to work. Don't know why the old Administrator account was locked out.

- Collapse -
Why.

Because it is locked out in Windows 7. I noted it above and I know that folk have a hard time accepting the changes but there's a very good reason why it does not work. It's not supposed to.

Maybe there is some hack but I would not do that. I'd use the new ways and rules.
Bob

CNET Forums