General discussion

Sharing between Windows 7 and MAc 10.6 Snow Lwopard

I need to share files BOTH WAYS between Mac OS 10.6 (latest rev - 10.6.3 at the time of this post) and Windows 7 Premium. Both computers are on a private network and both are on the same workgroup.

I followed this tutorial:

http://macs.about.com/od/filesharing/ss/file-sharing-with-snow-leopard-win7.htm

and I got part of the way there. This tutorial shows me how to set up sharing using the "Sharing" pref pane. I set up a few folders for sharing to specific users (me) from the PC. I set permissions properly, and enabled SMB. Everything was by the book (I have shared between XP and older macs in the past, this is not totally new to me).

For some reason, my Win 7 box is only able to see my public folder. I can set that folder (using the sharing panel in OSX) to read and write, so I can move files to and from it in Win7, but none of the other folders I shared on my Mac are available in Win7.

I am accessing my shares in Win7 like this:

\\192.168.123.130\Desktop

that's my Mac's static IP and then the Desktop is one of my shared folders on the Mac.

When I type that, I get an error in Win7 that says that folder is not accessible, and that I may not have permission. I am not prompted for a username/password at any point in the process.

the only way I am able to access the Mac's public folder is because I type "
192.168.123.130" in Windows 7 and I am presented with a list of shared printers on my Mac and then the public folder. My other Mac shares are not listed there.

What am I doing wrong?

Oh, one more thing. Is there a good tutorial anywhere for sharing Win7 folders to my Mac? All the ones I have found are not working.

God, I really hate Windows sometimes.

Thanks

-----------S

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Sharing between Windows 7 and MAc 10.6 Snow Lwopard
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Sharing between Windows 7 and MAc 10.6 Snow Lwopard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
A few more things...

I can ping the Mac fron Win7, but I cannot ping Win7 from the Mac.

I still have NEVER been asked for a login or password when trying to access the Win7 box from my Mac.

The Win7 box is plugged into my Mac's 2nd ethernet port. That 2nd port has its own static IP (192.168.123.130) and the Windows box also has its own static IP (192.168.123.132). Both are on 255.255.255.0 subnet and both use 192.168.123.130 as the Router Address.

In other words, this is a PRIVATE network between the Mac and this PC. I do this because then I do not have to install all the system-slowing virus crap that our IT dept requires (they hobble machines with their required software). This PC will never see the light of a public network.

Thanks

- Collapse -
Sharing Windows 7 files with Mac OS X 10.6

CNET Forums