Phones forum

General discussion

SHAME SHAME: Verizon Wireless as Scrooge takes away holidays

by Shutterbug / September 10, 2005 4:31 AM PDT

I just found out that my wireless carrier, Verizon, took away ANY HOLIDAY that was treated like weekends. They somehow couldn't get statements to me for two months and rep kept telling me it was on one of the statements I never got. Around and around. I demanded a supervisor. I was billed over $65 for a Labor Day incoming call! No problem. It's a holiday. Even the man who sold me my new (free plus gift) cell yesterday (BEFORE I KNEW THIS) laughed at how stupid. We agreed there had to have been a glitch. I'm wondering how many others are just opening their bills and screaming. There was just one warning about this back in July's bill I guess. Never saw it or I would not have accepted the call. Had I known about this BEFORE I got the phone (carries two year contract!) yesterday, I would NEVER have done it. I would have finished the current (short period) contract and dumped them like hot potatoes. I did get a refund, but it took hard work to get it!

I have written to Verizon. I told them I would blog it, scream it, tell everyone I know that they just took something very special away from me: holiday calls. I am alone and have physical problems so that I really see anyone at all for days, weeks on end. Talking with a friend or two and my kids on holidays is the only gift I get like for Xmas. And they took it all away?

Other companies are rolling unused minutes forward and/or not charging for incoming calls to its customers. I thought surely Verizon would have some nice thing along these lines. WRONG! I'm furious.
Anyone else "get caught" in this mess? If so call into Utah and gripe a lot until you get a refund.

Shame on Verizon Wireless!!! Wonder who is getting the extra money. Verizon is HUGE! And they are not in trouble financially that I know.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SHAME SHAME: Verizon Wireless as Scrooge takes away holidays
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SHAME SHAME: Verizon Wireless as Scrooge takes away holidays
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You Are 100% Right....
by Psych Doc / September 10, 2005 6:37 AM PDT

....I just found out about this outrage. Yes, we've all heard how Verizon Wireless consistently sweeps Consumer Reprts' cell phone providers surveys but, their greed and avariciousness seems to know no bounds. they have routinely disabled numerous features on their phones so that you have to use their own propietary services ("Get It Now") and pay exhorbitant charges for rigng tones, wallpapers, etc. This is shaping up to be the biggest bait and switch deal in history in reverse. here, they have, in fact, created the best service in the industry, then they're bleeding their customers dry.

I've been with them for over 10 years and I think I may leave. Cingular has some nice looking phones (e.g. Moto Razr)

Collapse -
Cingular not better
by dave1973 / September 11, 2005 12:14 AM PDT
In reply to: You Are 100% Right....

If you think you'll have better service with Cingular, you're wrong. My mom & sister had Cingular for 3 years when the service was originally Cellular One in Indiana. When it became Cingular Wireless, the service went to hell customer service wise. They were always overbilled, and when the bill was ok, the service was always turned off every month, even though the bill was paid on time at a Cingular Wireless corporate store. My mom was on the phone with them every month to get the service turned back on. Eventually she cancelled her service with Cingular in 2002 (before they rolled out GSM service a few months later) and was with Nextel for a year, then switched to Verizon Wireless.
I myself would consider Cingular for the rollover minutes, but if it weren't for customer service problems, I would have considered them for service. People I work with complain about Cingular because of customer service, but not the reception though.
As for other services, the top 5 companies don't offer free incoming calls, and only offer free calls to people on the same service. In the case of Nextel, it's free only if you use the walkie-talkie. As for services that allow free incoming calls, only small services provide that service, and in the Chicago market, only US Cellular offers that, but I hate their terms as in the Chicago market, 2 year contracts are mandatory, and on some plans, they don't automatically include night & weekend minutes and mobile-to-mobile, simply because most plans have lots of anytime minutes. If you want those features on plans that don't have it included, you pay extra. Also with their limited coverage of the United States, you'll use your anytime minutes rather quickly if you travel a lot off the network as you must be on the network if you want to use your mobile-to-mobile and night & weekend minutes (if you have that in your plan). At least Verizon Wireless allows night & weekend minutes to be used off-network. The other service I know of that allows free incoming calls is a Fort Wayne Indiana based service, Centennial Wireless. Centennial Wireless serves all of Indiana except for Lake & Porter Counties, most of lower Michigan, and western Ohio for the midwest, & parts of Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi for the south. Centennial Wireless also mandates 2 year contracts, night & weekend minutes and mobile-to-mobile must be made on the network, no excessive roaming like the big carriers, and if you terminate service early, they charge a $250 fee. No service is perfect, but everyone is going to bash other servies for whatever reason. Verizon is getting based for offering few minutes, staying with night & weekend starting at 9pm, disabling key features of bluetooth on their phones, and sometimes customer service. Cingular for the overall worst customer service, in the case of merger, people who have AT&T contracts feel like they're being bullied into dropping the AT&T plan for a Cingular plan. T-Mobile for spotty coverage for where they serve and not covering much of rural America, Sprint for poor customer service since I hear they use call centers in India (I hope I'm wrong on that) and spotty coverage, and like Verizon, limited or no bluetooth phones. Nextel for being too expensive, proprietary network, which makes the service vulnerable to having no service outside of major cities (which was why my mom & sister dropped Nextel), and poor customer service, and the merger with Sprint might not make things better.
As for former AT&T customers who got acquired by other services, I wonder how things are being handled with them. I know Alltel acquired many AT&T customers in Michigan around Grand Rapids & Lansing, where Cingular had to divest, and Alltel uses CDMA and AT&T was TDMA/GSM.

Collapse -
STAY AWAY FROM CINGULAR
by HOPPY305 / September 11, 2005 1:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Cingular not better

I have been a Cingular customr for 11 years and my wife has been with cingular for 7 years and I am here to tell you that cingular has the wores customer service. When our contract is up we are going to verizon. everyone has heard of the saying the bottom of the barrel. well cingular is below the barrel. I know every cell phone provider has bad customer service. But when I asked people that I knew and people that I did not who had verizon which were about 25 or 30 people everyone but 1 person said verizon customer service is great. SO I AM SUGGESTING FOR YOU TO STAY WIT VERIZON. DON'T GO WITH CINGULAR EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO USE TIN CANS AND A STRING.

Collapse -
Not true...
by poloposse666 / October 13, 2005 10:29 AM PDT

I had Cingular for a year contract and they were great. It was about a year and a half before the merge with ATT. Ive had no complaints, the reception sucked a little, but eh. I broke my phone about 3 times (old nokia 3395) and they gladly replaced each and every time for free. They have good customaer service. And as for the rollover minutes, I loved those. I was forced to switch to Verizon :K

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.