General discussion

Shadows/Streaks on Video Display

Hi I use a Dell Precision 690 2 Xeon Processors, NVIDIA Quadro FX 4000 video card, Dell 22 inch Flat Panel Monitor and XP Pro 32 bit. All of a sudden I have dark streaks like shadows appear to the immediate right of all text lines, icons and even the mouse pointer. This shows up on any application. To better visualize imagine the streak an artist may use to emulate a speeding object. This appeara off to the immediate right of any object on the display. Have scanned for viruses, spy ware etc. Nothing. Any ideas?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Shadows/Streaks on Video Display
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Shadows/Streaks on Video Display
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
That's typical of...

1. Bad video cable.
2. Bad video card.
3. Failing video display.

- Collapse -
streaks

Thanks, you were right, bad connection on the cable. Dell replaced the card now one of the ports doesn't work so they are coming out tmo with anothe. I also am having trouble loading the 64 bit version of xp pro. It gets hung up in the reboot after installation just as it is about to boot to the desktop. It stops at the blue screen with the xp logo. Any thoughts?

- Collapse -
XP Pro (notice no SP2?)

Has install issues on SATA drives over 127GB.

Fix? Get the XP SP2 CD out.

- Collapse -
XP Pro SP2

The Install disc says it has SP2 included in it

- Collapse -
And did you supply the SATA drivers on floppy?

Small details such as XP version, OEM, etc are required. As it stands it looks like a hardware failure.

Bob

- Collapse -
Oops, duplicate post. Locking.

I'm taking the liberty of locking this post since you made two about the same machine. You also didn't tell this is possibly XP 64 which may require Dell's install CD or a "procedure" Dell doesn't have on their web site.

CNET Forums

Forum Info