Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

SFC puzzler

by tcantrelln / February 23, 2007 6:26 AM PST

New (to me anyway) Inspiron 1505 notebook, OE installed Media Center XP, works ok, full DVD of MCE xp ( dell actually ) came with it, just for my own amusement after adding more memory, cleaning out lots of fluff the previous owners accounts had left behind (Actually just deleted the accts, browsed the saved stuff then recycle bin-ned it. I tried to run SFC /scannow, insisted on the disk, then said it was not present. Browsed to where the oe setup i386 folder was, checked / changed the registry entries to point to it (C:\Dell\i386) still insisted I put in CD, so I copied the DVD's i386 folder to C:, changed the registry to point to it and sfc now says, "Wrong disk" ?? How can that be? How can I figure out what kind of disk it wants? (I tried a known good XP-Pro SP2 cd, same thing- is there a key in the registry that ties them together? Correct and legal COA's everywhere, I plan on scratching my head for a while- or should I just reload the thing? Or would a repair install correct stuff? TIA..

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SFC puzzler
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SFC puzzler
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A real killer issue for OEM OS's is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2007 8:34 AM PST
In reply to: SFC puzzler

The maker may not support use of the SFC or other commands. They give out a crippled OS that the only fix is the reinstall. Be sure to ask if SFC is supported or not.

Bob

Collapse -
See if...
by jahn / February 23, 2007 10:23 AM PST
In reply to: SFC puzzler

this page helps. http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Also, I think pointing the registry to just "C:\" will work better. It works fine on my HP OEM. BTW, most Dells will support sfc. Are you confident you have the right Dell DVD for this machine? They are not interchangeable.

Collapse -
Verified the disk
by tcantrelln / February 23, 2007 9:58 PM PST
In reply to: See if...

is the original shipped with laptop when purchased. I'm fairly sure the file checker is finding the i386 folder because of it's message-"Wrong disk" I've about decided to make a clone of this install, then try a repair install and see if SFC works then, after that probably wipe and reload but I'd like to avoid that because I've read of some of the @#$*&% problems getting the SATA drivers on during install. Thanks.

Collapse -
Make the call.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2007 2:36 AM PST
In reply to: Verified the disk

Ask Dell how to use SFC as well as if they support it.

HOWEVER, if we know what issue was causing you to use SFC we might know a cure for that. There's usually a reason someone runs SFC. Can you share a bit more?

Bob

Collapse -
Attempting to run
by tcantrelln / February 24, 2007 8:56 AM PST
In reply to: Make the call.

SFC because it's a new to me machine, I cleaned out all the old accounts, software I didn't need or want, (or was hacked / illegal)and would just like to know that SFC had run correctly one time before I needed it under the pressure of needing to fix something. Dell is no help at all, "Yes that's the disk we shipped, yes it's the right one, keep trying, 'Bye" Laptop works fine, everything, I figure I have two options, save a good ghost image of it, or (Thought of this this afternoon) Buy new hard drive, install completely fresh from disk. A new 120GB sata laptop HD is not amazing money, and the OE sixty already seems small- if the install from the disk goes awry, no biggie, put clone current hd onto it, move on and know that there is something screwy with Dell's XP / MCE disks..Thanks

Collapse -
There's a clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2007 10:26 AM PST
In reply to: Attempting to run
Collapse -
I hadn't even thought
by tcantrelln / February 24, 2007 10:55 AM PST
In reply to: There's a clue.

about them for pest and Mal- purposes, just being honest and dumping them because it was the right thing to do- new HD and fresh load sounds better every passing moment.

Collapse -
I dood it!
by tcantrelln / February 24, 2007 9:38 PM PST
In reply to: I hadn't even thought

Zero problems, seems quite a lot faster with new drive, fresh install. The key (Belarc finder thingie) is different than the sticker on bottom of laptop, and the key in the old install- don't care, didn't ask for it during install, updater, MS genuine advantage all ran fine, so the key in there has to be the right one, right?. Best of all, SFC runs fine. Clean install probably cured several problems I didn't even know were there. One thing though IE7 still bites, glad I already knew about FF and Opera.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.