Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Several new MS Windows Critical Updates just available

for download this PM for those that do not have automatic notification.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Several new MS Windows Critical Updates just available
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Several new MS Windows Critical Updates just available
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thanks, JR

In reply to: Several new MS Windows Critical Updates just available

Now that I have XP, I have the updates set for automatic. I preferred manual updates with prior OS's. I do, however, have some customers through the computer store where I work part-time that I will need to take care of with this. I spoil them Happy

Collapse -
Also a non- security update for Outlook Express on WinXP

In reply to: Thanks, JR

Doesn't seem to be any new critcal updates for my Win98se.

My WinXP Home took 4 critical updates including one for the Win Firewall (but I use the free ZA firewall).

Collapse -
Automatic Updates already downloaded them for me,...

...and I installed them just now.

Now, if I could just get the PC to stop nagging me with popups telling me to reboot!

I'm still not sure that I like this system, which I never would activated had not SP2 required it to be activated; I'd much rather go to Windows Update myself - even if this system means that I'll (blessedly) never have to open MSIE ever again...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) my updates set to auto didnt tell me till i went there

In reply to: Automatic Updates already downloaded them for me,...

Collapse -
SP2 doesn't require automatic updates to be turned on

I just installed SP2 (finally) last Friday. I turned off automatic update and the Windows firewall at the end of the install, I think, when a screen came up giving the choice to enable or disable.

BTW, first time I tried to install SP2 it didn't work out at all because I had GoBack running. This time I went into GoBack and disabled it, then installed SP2 in less than 25 minutes, no trouble at all. Then I enabled GoBack again.

When you disable GoBack it deletes all of the history needed for it to revert to a prior state.

DE

Collapse -
Re: Automatic Update

As DaveE indicates the auto update can be turned off/on. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > look for Shield that states "Security Center" double click. That Shield can also be in the System Tray near the clock or placed on the desktop, but I just use the one in Control Panel. I like to check MS Windows Update every few days myself, so keep auto update off. Notice also the Firewall "ON" setting - click the ^ and for me it indicates that I'm using Zone Alarm instead of the (one way) Windows Fire Wall.

Collapse -
DavE and John, thanks!

In reply to: Re: Automatic Update

I was led to believe that you couldn't turn that off; glad I was wrong.

As for Go Back, DavE; why use it when WinXP's System Restore function's available and does the same thing?

John, I too use ZA and have no intention of using that excuse for a firewall MS provides.

Collapse -
Go Back....

In reply to: DavE and John, thanks!

Collapse -
Can the pop-up warning be disabled?

In reply to: Re: Automatic Update

If so, I'd be very appreciative if someone would tell me how. Apparently, yelling at the screen, "No, my system's not at risk, you stupid pop-up! I have a disc image backed-up on DVD that I can restore to", doesn't work.

Mark

Collapse -
Yes it can

In reply to: Can the pop-up warning be disabled?

Try start/control panel/security center. Once that is open, on the left under "resources", the last one down says "change the way the Security Center Alerts me". Click on that and there are three boxes. Check or uncheck the appropiate boxes and click OK.

Collapse -
D'oh! Thanks, Roddy.

In reply to: Yes it can

That's what I get for not RTFM, huh? Not that it was a huge deal, since the warning only popped-up on boot. But it'll be nice to have it stop nagging me now.

Thanks - Mark

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome Mark :D

In reply to: D'oh! Thanks, Roddy.

Collapse -
Re: Can the pop-up warning be disabled?

In reply to: Can the pop-up warning be disabled?

Hi Mark,

Besides what Roddy indicates if you have IE go to Tools & click on Pop-up blocker.

I use Firefox with WinXP SP2 and goto Tools > Options > Web Features > Block Popup Windows.

I don't get Pop-up with the warnings, etc. and rarely get any type of pop-up that is not wanted.

Understand for some other type pop-ups the Windows Messenger Service could be causing it...I also don't use the service.

It was 29F here in S. Texas last night, coldest of the year. Until a few days ago we were having weather like the place where you live. Ohhhhh tell me how nice it was there today.

JR

Collapse -
It's been "cold" here, too.

In reply to: Re: Can the pop-up warning be disabled?

Of course, "cold" for us means lows in the upper 60s. We did have a pretty bad storm on Halloween:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2004/Dec/07/ln/ln03p.html

University of Hawai'i officials privately estimated yesterday that flood damages to the campus could go as high as $75 million, making the Oct. 30 Manoa flood one of the costliest natural disasters in Hawai'i history.

But it's been nice since.

Aloha - Mark

P.S. I'm a Firefox user, too. So internet pop-ups are under control. It's the Windows OS one that was bugging me.

Collapse -
unscheduled update

has anyone had their auto update do it at a different time? mine started updating today instead of later on in the week.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.