General discussion

Several issues -- mainly can't get latest WU

Dell Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E7500 Computer
Inspirion 545s 00
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
6GB Memory
750GB Hard Drive

I'm having problems getting a couple of Windows Updates -

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile for Windows 7 x64-based Systems (KB982670)
Installation date: ?10/?28/?2010 10:41 AM
Installation status: Failed
Error details: Code 643
Update type: Recommended

The Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile provides a subset of features from the .NET Framework 4. The Client Profile is designed to run client applications and to enable the fastest possible deployment for Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) and Windows Forms technology.

Windows Live Essentials 2011 (KB2434419)
Installation date: ?10/?28/?2010 10:47 AM
Installation status: Successful
Update type: Recommended:

Do more with Windows on your PC with free programs from Microsoft for photos, movies, instant messaging, email, social networking, and more. Get it all in one simple download.

Windows Live Essentials includes Messenger, Photo Gallery, Mail, Movie Maker, Writer, Family Safety, and Windows Live Mesh, plus Bing Bar, Messenger Companion, Microsoft Outlook Hotmail Connector, Microsoft Outlook Social Connector Provider for Windows Live Messenger, and Microsoft Silverlight.

Installing this update will replace your Windows Live Toolbar with Bing Bar.

The Windows Live update does show successful; however, when installing I got 2 error #'s -- ox80040609 and 0x80040705
I only use the email part of Windows Live, so I'm wondering if I really need the update ---- or if, in fact, I got what I needed since it says successful. Any thoughts on this please?
As for the update on Microsoft .NET Framework, I have no clue. When trying to see what code 643 is, it shows info on Windows Installer.

Recently I did try to install the free AVG Antivirus program and was unable to do so because of the following error: "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in Safe Mode or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

I was not in safe mode and since I'm a home user, I have no support personnel (LOL).

So, would someone be able to explain in laymen's terms what I can do to correct my situations? I've googled how to repair Windows Installer and so many links/programs come up to fix it that I'm afraid to do any of them. This may be above me and I might have to call in a "real" techie; but if it's something I can fix myself, I'd like to try -- and hopefully still have a computer when all done and said.

Thanks for your help. By the way, I did go to MSKB and checked all the reasons they said it may not work. From what I can tell, things are as they should be; but evidently. not.
Julea

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Several issues -- mainly can't get latest WU
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Several issues -- mainly can't get latest WU
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Just yesterday my laptop got that .NET 4.0 failure.

This is not to duplicate all that is written about this on the web. I'll keep it to the highlights and you can google/research the details.

1. I used the .NET CLEANUP TOOL to remove all of .NET 4.0
2. I rebooted.
3. I went on the web to find the latest full install of .NET 4.0 and that installed without trouble.

As to Live, I don't use it and know that some report nothing but trouble. Sorry I have no other comment about Live troubles.
Bob

- Collapse -
TY Bob

I'll check this out. I appreciate your help, and sorry for the double post. The first one would never come up for me, so that's why I posted again. Guess I got impatient (LOL).

Julea

- Collapse -
Windows Installer & Windows Live - a note to Julea

Hi Julea,

Count your blessings if Windows Live Update did not install. It is NOT ready for prime-time! I don't know when it was released, but I found in Windows Update as "recommended" a couple of weeks ago. I assumed it was a security update.

WRONG. I didn't have time to use any of the programs for over a week. I check my Recycle bin before emptying, and I couldn't figure out why so many of my pictures were in there - I didn't recall deleting any of them, so I kept restoring them. After about 10 days I tried to use Windows Live Photo Gallery and met with major problems.

Many great features that were originally there have been removed - you can't really "edit" pics any more. The only choices for "exposure" and "color" are a palette of 9 various hues of orange! The slider bars that gave such great editing abilities are gone. I went online to seek help and discovered that many are having the problem with Windows Live deleting their photos.

The whole Live package is very intrusive, even for Microsoft (I think they've set a new bar). I had to backup my files from the previous ten days (unfortunately, I had installed several new programs and saved a huge amount of music and pics). Then I had to use System Restore to restore the computer to it's status before the Windows Live Update.

CNET Forums

Forum Info