Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Setup Wizard Does not detect router

by Steven2285 / December 27, 2007 4:47 AM PST

I bought a D-Link Wireless N Router (DIR-615), ran setup, followed all of the instructions, and then it said that setup does not detect a supported D-Link router. I checked the support website and got nothing. I also upgraded the firmware and checked all of the connections, the new firmware didn't do anything and all of the connections were fine. What could be wrong?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Setup Wizard Does not detect router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Setup Wizard Does not detect router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Also...
by Steven2285 / December 27, 2007 4:55 AM PST

I should also tell you that I have a cable modem and another router(not wireless), and I am running and Windows XP Home Edition.

Collapse -
How did you update the firmware without detection?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2007 5:09 AM PST
In reply to: Also...

Curious!

Collapse -
what do you mean
by Steven2285 / December 27, 2007 5:24 AM PST

What do you mean "without detection"? I am completely new to wireless networking so I don't know anything about it.

Collapse -
Never Mind
by Steven2285 / December 27, 2007 5:27 AM PST
In reply to: what do you mean

Ignore my above post. I thought you said DID you update the firmware without detection, not how did.

Collapse -
OK, now we know you are still wired.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2007 7:37 AM PST

The setup for wifi should FAIL in very odd ways since the cord is still installed. I've also encountered machines I needed to not only unplug the cable but the owner had used STATIC IP ADDRESSING to make WIFI more fun for me to setup. Back to "get an IP automatically" then reboot and turn on the wifi, connect, etc.

Bob

Collapse -
another router
by James Denison / December 27, 2007 7:57 AM PST
In reply to: Also...

can you tell us about this other router. Is it still connected? What's connected to it, or did you plug this second router into a port on that router? I hope not, that would make this harder.

Collapse -
Other Router
by Steven2285 / December 27, 2007 8:21 AM PST
In reply to: another router

The other router is provided by my VOIP provider (vonage). It is still plugged in and nothing new is plugged into it. There are three things plugged into this router: 1 phone line (for my VOIP phone), one ethernet cable plugged into the "internet" plug, and another ethernet cable plugged into "ethernet 1" and of course the power cable. I did not set this up, so I don't exactly know what those two ethernet cables go to. Just to be sure, the ethernet cable coming from the computer is supposed to be plugged into what?

Collapse -
I bit confused on your setup there.
by James Denison / December 27, 2007 8:28 AM PST
In reply to: Other Router

You have a modem taking in a cable broadband? That runs to the new DLink modem or the other? Here's how I would connect everything based on what I think you have there. Wall cable to modem, a LAN cable from there to the WAN/internet port on your new D-Link wireless router. I'd plug the VOIP phone box direct to one back LAN port on the wireless router. I'd plug the computer you are using to access the new router setup program into another LAN port on it. That's how I'd have the physical setup done.

Do you have a splitter on the cable which is how you have the two routers connected at the same time?

Collapse -
Setup
by Steven2285 / December 27, 2007 11:52 AM PST

This is the setup for the cables:

Wall cable to cable modem

Ethernet cable from modem to VOIP router

Ethernet cable from VOIP router to back of computer

The setup wizard says that I should unplug the first ethernet cable (modem to VOIP router) & put it in first ethernet port on wireless router. It then says to connect the included ethernet cable (the one that came with the wireless router) to the gray "internet" port on back of wireless router and connect the otehr end to the cable modem. What should I do for setup?

Collapse -
way to setup
by James Denison / December 27, 2007 12:13 PM PST
In reply to: Setup

wall cable to the modem is already setup.

Next take the cable from the modem currently plugged into the VOIP router and plug it into the WAN or "Internet" port on the wireless router instead.

Unplug your computer's LAN cable from the VOIP router and plug into LAN port 1 on the wireless router.

Finally plug a LAN cord from the VOIP device's "internet" LAN port to a LAN port on the wireless router.

If you have DHCP activated on the wireless router all should work fine.

Collapse -
Thank you
by Steven2285 / December 28, 2007 3:04 AM PST
In reply to: way to setup

Thank you James Denison, your setup worked like a charm. Also thanks to anybody that contributed to this thread.

Collapse -
may we assume...
by James Denison / December 27, 2007 6:30 AM PST

...the router is plugged in and has lights lit up on it? There is a LAN cord attached between the router and the computer you are using? Have you tried just connecting to the router using it's default internal IP address?

Collapse -
Router
by Steven2285 / December 27, 2007 7:29 AM PST
In reply to: may we assume...

The router is plugged in, its lights are on, and there is a cord attached between the router and my computer. How would I connect to the router using its internal IP address?

Collapse -
the manual
by James Denison / December 27, 2007 7:34 AM PST
In reply to: Router

first you would hopefully consult a manual that came with it and discover what the IP address is you need to use for that. You'd open a browser such as firefox or IE and put that IP number in the location line. One popular IP address is 192.168.100.100 as I recall, or the last number might be a 1 instead of 100. If you didn't get a manual with the device, download it from the internet. Once you get into the router program you can set it up exactly the way you want to. Also by entering the router program you can be sure it sees the computer you are using. Achieve that, then come back to the thread.

Collapse -
here you go.
by James Denison / December 27, 2007 7:41 AM PST
In reply to: the manual
Collapse -
OK..
by Steven2285 / December 27, 2007 7:41 AM PST
In reply to: the manual

I have done that (the site was actually 192.168.0.1). Now what?

Collapse -
Follow these excellent D-Link Tutorials.
by James Denison / December 27, 2007 7:53 AM PST
In reply to: OK..
http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DIR%2D615

I can't give you the pictures and step by step any better than they have. Start with the part about how to configure the device. When you get to the wireless, if you don't understand and/or having problems, come back to the thread. Basically you will need to make a record of the SSID, the channel, the encryption Key, and maybe the pass phrase (once set either as WEP or WPA in router). You will need that information for any wireless computers you wish later to connect.
Collapse -
Help me James
by sc00ters / January 30, 2008 1:40 AM PST

hey james,
you really seem to know what your talking about so maybe you can help me.
I want to set up a wirless network for my laptop. I bought a dlink wireless router and had to buy a networking card because the ethernet connection in the back of my desktop was broken. i installed the networking card and set up everything the way it says to. when i go through the dlink setup i have the same problems everyone on here is having. my laptop recieves a connection but wont connect to the internet. Im not sure if it has something to do with the ip address but i know nothing about that. Please help!

Collapse -
what's the problem?
by James Denison / January 30, 2008 1:59 AM PST
In reply to: Help me James

You need to describe what's happening. You mention a desktop, so I guess you are wired to the router with the desktop and able to view the setup program on the router to change the settings?

You also see "connected" on the laptop, but can't go further than that. That means the wireles is seeing the signal but can't communicate properly with the router. What causes that is not using the TCP/IP protocol, or more likely the router is set up for encryption and the laptop's settings don't match the router.

For the laptop to see and connect you need to know the router's SSID, it's encryption method you set it at, load the "key" shown on the router into the encryption for the laptop. Make sure you set the router to a clear channel in your area. If all your neighbors are on channel 9 or 11, you want to set a different channel to avoid conflict.

Collapse -
this is what happens
by sc00ters / January 30, 2008 1:28 PM PST
In reply to: what's the problem?

when i run the dlink setup it says: does not detect a supported D-Link router. All the wires are hooked up correctly the firewall is down the drivers are installed and it reads my networking card fine.

If i run a cable from my ethernet plug in my modem to my networking card the internet won't work. But if i run a cable from the usb slot in my modem to a usb in the computer it works. Is the problem with the networking card? did i set it up correctly?

Collapse -
NIC not set up properly for Internet
by James Denison / January 30, 2008 9:15 PM PST
In reply to: this is what happens

Your LAN card aka Network Interface Card either isn't setup or you don't have it set up properly for TCP/IP protocol. You using XP? Win98? Other?

If you added a NIC, then load the driver files for it. If the NIC is built into the motherboard, then load the correct motherboard drive files.

It's basically the same for all. You need to go to the networking section such as in Control Panel at the networking icon and make the correct settings. Open it and make sure the LAN card is showing as an adapter, that a TCP/IP protocol is loaded pointing to that LAN card, and there's a client such as Microsoft Networking. Those three. If not, take corrective actions.

If you see those then open properties on the LAN adapter shown there and make sure it's bound to the TCP/IP.
Open properties on the TCP/IP protocol and bind to the clients, obtain IP automatically, use DHCP, don't use WINS, disable DNS, leave gateway blank, no NetBIOS needed. In the network icon on another tab make sure you have a computer name and workgroup name. You will want all computers to use this same workgroup name if you later want them to see each other for Sharing.

Do that on the desktop and then check to make sure it's also same on the laptop, since you have two problems here. One problems is connecting your desktop with a LAN to the router, the other is connecting wirelessly with the laptop.

Collapse -
confused already
by sc00ters / January 31, 2008 12:55 PM PST

sorry but i dont understand a lot of the things you are saying. Is the LAN Card the modem? I have a motorola and a dlink wireless:which one do i check? if i go to their properties I see everything that your talking about but you have to explain it a little slower. I dont know how to bind the clients ect. I am running xp? sorry for being a pain hope you can help. Thanks.

Collapse -
Start at the beginning.
by James Denison / January 31, 2008 4:24 PM PST
In reply to: confused already

You have a desktop with a LAN card, also called a NIC (network interface card) installed. At least it has a LAN port which looks like a large phone plug. Plug a LAN cord between that and the motorola modem, which should already have a cable on it. Don't have any other LAN cord plugged into the desktop. Check and see if you can access the internet. If not, go into networking and see if you show two LAN ports active. If so, determine which one you are using and then "disable" the second one. Check again to see if you can access the internet. If so, then we can move on from there. If not, then you don't have your LAN port set up correctly and need to do that.

Collapse -
OK Next step
by sc00ters / February 1, 2008 8:46 AM PST

I did have two network connections. I plugged the modem into the dlink card. Then I enabled that card and disabled the other one still no internet. Whats the next step. Thanks.

Collapse -
modem
by James Denison / February 1, 2008 9:04 AM PST

OK, either the LAN connection isn't working, or setup correctly yet, or the modem or LAN cord between them has a problem. Try plugging the LAN port on the laptop direct to the LAN port on the modem. Make sure the modem is powered and all the correct lights are lit up (should be all but the bottom one probably). If you can't the the correct lights for power, send, receive, online, PC active lit up, then the modem may have a problem.

Collapse -
again
by sc00ters / February 1, 2008 2:50 PM PST

ok...so all of the lights are lit up that should be. I connected it to my laptop and it said it was connected. But no internet.

If i plug a usb cable from the modem to my computer the interent works fine. But that plug in on my computer is built in. In order to use the wireless i have to use a phone plug thingy. If i plug that into the same part of the computer i get nothing. Thats why i bought the networking card because i thought that plug was broken. What should i do now?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.