HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Setup to Play Movies off Mac/External Hard drive to TV?

by bigmcq77 / November 28, 2009 2:47 AM PST

Hi all, I have many ideas how to play videos off of an external hard drive with or without my macbook pro 13", but not really sure on how to set them up.

- What I want to do

Be able to play video from my external hard drive using my mac or without it. OR I just thought of I could connect my hard drive/mac to my xbox 360 which is of course connected to my tv, then play it that way?

- My "equipment"
Mitsubishi WS-55413 TV.

Macbook Pro 13".

Normal xbox 360.

Motorola Cable Box. (not sure If I need to list this, but you will see where I'm getting at)

And I have not bought an external hard drive yet, because I am not sure If I need firewire/usb etc etc.. (which is partially why I am here.

- Problems

1. I don't know how to connect my macbook to my tv. I don't know if I need the miniport to VGA, DVI, or HDMI, and whatever else there is.

2. I don't know If I can connect an external hard drive directly to my cable box, then play videos from that. (meaning I don't need my mac for that)

3. I don't know if I need a firewire/usb external hard drive, which is why I haven't bought one yet. (Note: It needs to be mac compatible)

- Ideally, I want to be able to connect the hard drive DIRECTLY to my xbox/tv(impossible I think)/cable box. (Note: I don't want to connect my hard drive to the cable box to increase the recording capacity. I want to do it to play videos OFF of the hard drive. Just to clarify.) I am still willing to buy the cables to connect my mac to my tv, if all else fails.

Sorry this is so confusing. Thanks all who can help. I tried to be as specific as necessary for my problems and equipment. Hope I was clear and specific enough. Thanks once again!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Setup to Play Movies off Mac/External Hard drive to TV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Setup to Play Movies off Mac/External Hard drive to TV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Playing on the Xbox
by asjdhsak / March 1, 2011 3:05 AM PST

Buy a hard drive seagate preferably i like them due to them being nice and sleek and they are easy to reformat it. reformat the hard drive to FAT32 which can be read/written on by any computer or device such as the x box 360 and ps3. aft this is done get the movies you want and plug it into the Xbox and enjoy. USB works fine. Also movie format file of .avi. is the best to be used. can be read by so far every type of player. You may need to do a console upgrade for the xbox to allow the movies to be played as well there you go

Collapse -
Vlc player for the mac
by asjdhsak / March 1, 2011 3:08 AM PST
In reply to: Playing on the Xbox

i forgot to mention VLC is the best player i have come across to allow movies to be played by the mac from a harddrve and its free. and this will allow you to access you movies wherever you are

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.