Small business & Startups forum

General discussion

Setup remote network login?

by rebaths / October 24, 2005 5:24 AM PDT

Hi, I run a small business and we are planning on expanding to 3 locations.

I would like to know what I need to setup a network between these locations.

The main location will have the main database and the 2 other locations will need access to these files. The main location currently has a network via a Linksys router. The 2 new locations must be able to gain access to either this network or an external hard drive accessible by all locations.

Is there an article somewhere on how to do this?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Setup remote network login?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Setup remote network login?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just finished one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 25, 2005 12:18 AM PDT

Our database is on MySQL so all we needed to do was allow incoming traffic from the internet to the database server. I will not detail exactly how but note that PORT FORWARDING and google.com was used. That was all the information I needed to know.

After that we installed our database frontend program on any internet connected machine and put in the IP address of the MySql server (it's public IP address, not the internal IP.)

Amazing stuff that works cheap and easy.

Bob

Collapse -
Do I need a complete server?
by rebaths / October 25, 2005 6:39 AM PDT

I guess my main question is do I have to set up an entire server CPU or can I buy an external hard drive which is connected via ethernet and accesable by various locations?

Thanks

Collapse -
Please do a little lookup about MySQL
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 25, 2005 7:29 AM PDT

It runs on Mac, Linux, Windows and other machines. I've yet to find it work on just a hard disk. I've run MySQL on office castoff machines so this should not be a big hardware item.

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
Not The Best Resolution
by dppres / December 7, 2005 1:43 AM PST

I am sorry to say this, but while MySQL will allow remote access, that procedure is by no means is a secure resolution. The best way to setup remote access is by implementing VPN services with a radius server. This way, the logon process requires passcodes and the data transmitted between locations can be encrypted.

dpnconsultants.com

Collapse -
Even, not the best. Here's what I was given.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2005 1:57 AM PST

I had this mini credit card with an ever changing unique ID number. It was used along with my name and 2 other passwords and then the final number from said card.

It finally would let me in the system.

The logon was over the VPN (encrypted) link so it was possibly one of the most secure systems I used. However it was not funny to find that Sony ROOTKIT on the machines at the office.

Seems we'll need to eject Windows to get really secure again?

Bob

Collapse -
Nothing is 100% Secure
by dppres / December 7, 2005 2:29 AM PST

What you were using for remote access was SecureID or something close to it. Nonetheless, it uses autentication processes, that while doesn't insure 100% security, does insure a highly level of security than most.

Like with any network, the most dangerous vulnerability is the local machine and local users. To address that, you would have to setup up some sort of packet analyzer which will filter certain information from leaving the local network.

Anyway, back to the point. Yes, move from Windows and implement a UNIX radius server to gain remote access through. Once a session is authenticated, have it redirect the connection to the main server.

www.dpnconsultants.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?