Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

'Setup cannot copy the file' while installing Windows XP SP2

Hi, i need some help.

When i tried to install the Windows, the messages keep poping up saying that the setup cannot copy the file. I skipped the files (ks.sys, modem.sys, ndisuio.sys, and many other files)and continued the installation. After i finished installing my computer, my DVD Drives didn't show up till now. It has a yellow exclamation mark on Device Manager. I tried all the following fixes but still get the error :
1. Use regedit and delete the upperfilters and lowerfilters registry keys.(but the keys aren't there)
2. Uninstall the DVDs drivers on Device Manager then reinstall it.
3. Take out one DDR memory stick when installing the Windows.
4. Download the DVD Drive driver but it can't find the target drive even after i typed the drive letter on the directory.(Using LG btw)
5. Unplug the IDE cables, start the computer, Scan for Hardware Change then plug the cables back when restarting.

I googled for alot of fixes too but still can't find one that can fix it. Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 'Setup cannot copy the file' while installing Windows XP SP2
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 'Setup cannot copy the file' while installing Windows XP SP2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try a "copy"

In reply to: 'Setup cannot copy the file' while installing Windows XP SP2

Duplicate your XP SD2 CD onto a CDR and use that next time. If the copy fails the usual culprits are:

1. An aging CD drive.
2. Fingerprints on the CD.
3. Bad ram. (Look at MEMTEST86 to test)
4. A hacked XP CD.
5. A bad ide cable.

The details are a little sparse such as component age or why you are reinstalling.

Bob

Collapse -
Re : Try a "copy"

In reply to: Try a "copy"

the components age isn't one year yet and i just bought the CD. I'm reinstalling because my windows broke down and it kept restarting after the loading screen, i tried many fixes too and the last choice was to reinstall it. I'll try to copy the CD, thanks for the suggestion.

Collapse -
It could be a bad hard disk also.

In reply to: Re : Try a "copy"

Anyway, something hardware related (if we define a bad CD as hardware). And that might even be the source of the troubles you experienced.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: It could be a bad hard disk also.

Thanks for the advice! it's indeed because of my CD. I copied my other computer's ks.sys into this computer using Windows PE and now it worked fine Grin

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.