Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

*** setting up XP fax ***

by hrgutman / September 18, 2004 2:15 AM PDT

When I first installed XP Pro, I had set up my WinXP fax program to work exactly the way I wanted it to work, but recently had to reinstall XP. After hours of trying, cannot duplicate previous settings. Using XP, I want to be able to manually receive faxes, with an icon showing on taskbar, and any time a fax comes in, a balloon pops up on that icon, indicating that a fax was ready to be received. Under receive/manual, the balloon saying ?The line is ringing, click here to answer as a fax call? should show, but after supposedly proper setup, no icon shows, so no balloon shows, nothing happens when phone rings.
How can I get to the ?program setup? to make this happen?

In the great manual ?Windows XP Pro, The Missing Manual? pp 414-415 (Received as a fax) is exactly what I am trying to do.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: *** setting up XP fax ***
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: *** setting up XP fax ***
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: *** setting up XP fax ***
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2004 2:17 AM PDT

"Under receive/manual, the balloon saying ?The line is ringing, click here to answer as a fax call? should show, but after supposedly proper setup, no icon shows, so no balloon shows, nothing happens when phone rings." is the clue here.

Many accept a driver from Windows Update and... such will fail. Here's why. Microsoft doesn't do drivers.

Bob

Collapse -
Something didn't get reinstalled when you reinstalled
by Kiddpeat / September 18, 2004 6:03 AM PDT

Windows. Did your system mfgr supply a driver disk or a modem disk? If not, you should probably download the latest driver from whoever made the modem. In my case, Alienware told me all I needed was the motherboard drivers. All the other necessary drivers were included in XP Pro SP 1 which was the CD that I had. They were essentially correct. I did need an updated driver to handle some new, large hard drives. I also applied all Windows updates to bring the system up to, but not including, SP 2.

Collapse -
by glb613 / September 18, 2004 7:57 PM PDT

Do you open or enable the fax program when you start your computer? If you have it set for manual answer and don't open/start the program, it won't answer the phone or give you the popup message.

If you have it set for auto answer, it will popup up with every phone call as long as the computer is plugged into the phone line.

I use the built in fax program with XP Home. This is how it works for me. It may be different for the Pro version.

Collapse -
by hrgutman / September 20, 2004 4:31 AM PDT

Thanks GLB613.
Somewhere I am going wrong. If you don't mind, please walk me through step by step OPENING the already installed fax program. I have set it for manual answer. But could the fact that the modem is using COM5 be a factor. What happened to the previous four COM ports? I don't know that I have intentionally used them for anything. Is that COM5 important, and if so how do I change it if necessary?

The reference manual cited indicates that XP Pro and Home are the same when it comes to the fax program

Thanks again
Hank at hrgutman@aol.com

Collapse -
by glb613 / September 20, 2004 9:46 AM PDT

Don't worry about the com5 port. You can find the fax program by going to all programs, accessories then communications. If you want to create a shortcut, right click on the fax icon then select send to desktop as a shortcut.

To manually receive a fax, open the fax program and let it run in the background. Be sure to have a phone line connected to your computer. When you get a phone call, the program will popup and ask if you want it to answer and receive a fax. Click on the balloon notification and it will answer the phone.

To send a fax, select the fax program from the print drop down menu. For example, open a program like Word, go to file, print then select the fax program. The fax wizard will start and walk your through the process. Any other questions, just ask.

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / September 18, 2004 10:51 PM PDT

Create a shortcut to Windows Fax and drop it into the "Startup" folder. An icon will appear at the 'tray'.( next to the clock). You may also be able to 'check' it at msconfig. This way, the fax program will 'open' or run in the background when you start Windows.

Collapse -
by hrgutman / September 20, 2004 4:37 AM PDT

Thanks Papa Echo, please tell me how to create that shortcut, from where, and how to get it to the STARTUP folder.
Thanks, Hank at

hrgutman@aol.com

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / September 20, 2004 1:53 PM PDT

Try this:

To find the XP fax program file(assuming you have installed it from Windows Components), use Start>Search to look for "fxssvc.exe". When found, rigtht click and choose create shortcut. Right click the short cut icon and choose 'cut'. Now go to Start> All Programs and look for "start Up". Right click and choose "Open" or "Open All Users" . Right click at the opened folder and choose "Paste". There you are. Is the fax icon at the tray ? Click on it and see whether the fax console opens up. You may have to configure it further for its behavior when the phone rings, when a fax is received, after receiving a fax, etc. I am not using XP fax so I am not too sure here. I am more at home with Symantec's Win Fax Pro.

Collapse -
Re: *** setting up XP fax *** -addendum
by Papa Echo / September 20, 2004 2:51 PM PDT

If "fxssvc.exe" fails try "fxsclnt.exe". The former is the fax service and the later the fax console.

Collapse -
by hrgutman / September 21, 2004 6:26 AM PDT

Program is checked off (as installed) in Windows Components, and then installed from there, by hitting next, etc. Presumably, that is all of the installation process that it needs. (Program says it is installed now) Did the search, however, neither fxssvc.exe nor fxsclnt.exe will let me create a shortcut from the search screen. Both choices say:

"Windows cannot create a shortcut here. Do you want the shortcut to be placed on the desktop instead"?

I tell it OK and follow the rest of your directions, pasting onto "Open all Users" (Plain Open was a blank screen) Now the shortcut(s) are on the Startup menu, but still no icon is showing on the tray, as it now should be doing, (even after shutting down and restarting) I find that without the icon showing up on the tray, the program dows not seem to recognize any incoming (receive) fax at all. Where am I going wrong??
Sure appreciate your help. Thanks

Collapse -
by glb613 / September 21, 2004 7:31 AM PDT

I have never created a shortcut the way you described. Have you tried going to start, all programs, accessories, system tools then fax? That is where the program is found. Right click on fax an select "send to desktop as a shortcut". That will create a shortcut on your desktop. You need to have the program running for it to answer the phone and receive a fax. You can open the fax program by double clicking on the shortcut.

Collapse -
by hrgutman / September 22, 2004 8:34 AM PDT

I followed your text, but my program apparently is not found in: prog/acc/system/fax, rather is found at: prog/acc/commun/fax. Should this make a difference.Further, under fax only two items show: 1)Fax Cover Sheet and 2) Send a Fax. I think everything is properly set up and configured, several times over and properly I believe. Thus, I have not been able to right click to place icons onto desktops, then to be able to have icon onto tray.

Thanks

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / September 21, 2004 11:34 AM PDT

OK - I would have thought just installing the fax would have settled everything, including putting an icon at the tray to "receive" faxes. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling ? Getting updated drivers (manufacturer's, not from Microsoft) for the mother board and modem ? Have you installed a printer ? I think the fax program requires a printer driver(at least my WinFax Pro does), since the fax is seen as a printer. I would go over the configuration process again to make sure that nothing is missed. Are you installing on a machine with SP2 ?

Collapse -
by glb613 / September 21, 2004 7:57 PM PDT

The built-in fax with XP does not put itself in the "tray" just by installing it. You can install, remove and reinstall and it still won't do that. You can change the settings to automatic answer. But be advised, it will answer the phone with every call while the computer is on. That is why I have mine set for manual answer and open the program only when I want to receive a fax. The other option, buy a stand alone fax machine.

Collapse -
by hrgutman / September 22, 2004 6:34 AM PDT

How can I get it onto the tray? At one time before reinstallation of XP it was there. I do want to use it and leave it in the manual mode, but witout icon being in tray, I cannot get it to answer any phone call

Collapse -
by hrgutman / September 22, 2004 6:39 AM PDT

Fax does show as a printer, as it should. Have reinstalled numerous times to try to get icon to tray, drivers are current from manufacturer, and computer does not have SP2 on it.

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / September 22, 2004 10:55 PM PDT

Sorry that you are still having problems in making your fax work. Did you remember to get patches after your reinstall of the OS ? Do scan for viruses and parasites.

At this time, I can only offer the following information from Microsoft itself:
kb article No. 306550
and an article from Windows XP site .

Also aThird Party View.

Google for more !

Before following the instructions, I would undo what you have done during these few days trying to make your fax work. System Restore is ideal for this purpose.
Also try running sfc /scannow (Have your XP CD ready) to replace any missing or corrupted system files: How to run sfc.

Hope this is useful. Good Luck !

Collapse -
by glb613 / September 23, 2004 3:34 AM PDT

I don't know how to make this anymore more clear. Installing the program DOES NOT put it into the startup group. You must manually start the program. It is very simple and easy to do. Create a desktop shortcut, double click on it when you want the fax to run. It will continue to run in the background until you close it. If you want the fax program to begin automatically at startup, put a shortcut in the startup folder. You can locate the startup folder through windows explorer or through search. Either drag and drop or copy and paste the shortcut into the startup folder. Reboot the computer and see if it automaticaly starts.

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / September 23, 2004 10:43 AM PDT

It is quite clear from his first post that that was what hrgutman had been able to do: When I first installed XP Pro, I had set up my WinXP fax program to work exactly the way I wanted it to work, but recently had to reinstall XP. After hours of trying, cannot duplicate previous settings. Perhaps hrgutman should clarify -- Do you mean another fax program, e.g WinFax Pro which does exactly the same thing you want ?

Collapse -
Try this...
by Edward ODaniel / September 23, 2004 6:16 AM PDT
http://delltech.150m.com/XP/printing/index.htm

Scroll down to the bottom ans select the "Sending and Receiving Faxes" link. The portion on "Decide how you will be notified about faxes that are sent or received" under Configuring the console should point you toward your goal.

Collapse -
by rontom / October 19, 2004 7:02 PM PDT

You may need to reinstall a fax driver for your modem after reinstalling your operating system. Check with either the manufacturer for the computer or your modem. If this is needed I would deactivate the fax software, install the fax driver for the modem, verify that there are no errors in device manager & then reacivate your fax software. I hope this helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?