General discussion

Setting Up Wireless Printing

I have a wired printer which I want to make wireless so I can print from a laptop. The USB printer is connected to a desktop computer in a room without a router. If I purchase a print server, how can I make this work without having the router in the same room as the printer? Can I use a different router in that room, or will that conflict with the current router? The desktop is running XP, my laptop is running Windows 7

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Setting Up Wireless Printing
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Setting Up Wireless Printing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Wired or wireless?

If you have a wireless print server that's compatible with your printer and a wireless router located within radio range, it's not that much different than setting up any other wireless device. The print server should come up with some kind of "wizard" or discovery software utility to aid in setting it up. As a hint, I prefer print servers to have a static IP address for troubleshooting purposes. Such allows me to ping the server makes access through a browser quite easy.

- Collapse -
If the PC with the printer . . .

is running on your home network, it's simple. But that PC will have to be turned on. Simply have Vista search for networked printers. It'll find the one connected to the other PC. Run the printer install wizard.

This is how mine is set up.

CNET Forums

Forum Info