Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Setting up wireless printer

by Fredsode / August 16, 2004 12:26 PM PDT

I have 3 computer on a wireless network. None of them are wired into the router. My printer is wired to a desktop that is wireless to the router. I want to set up the printer so I do not need to leave the desktop computer turned on. It appears that the wireless printer boxes require that the printer be tied into a computer that is wired into the router. Is there any way to have the printer stand alone and handle print jobs without be wired into a computer? Bluetooth?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Setting up wireless printer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Setting up wireless printer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Setting up wireless printer
by ChuckT / August 17, 2004 4:03 AM PDT

You need a Print Server.

You could get either a wireless Print Server or, if your router has wired eNet ports (RJ-45) on the back of it, then you could get a Print Server that plugs into the back of the router.

If your printer is already wired for eNet (it has its own RJ-45) then you could just plug the printer right into the RJ-45 on the back of the router (assuming that is there, as well).

If your printer has an RJ-45, but is not real close to the router, you could even use a wireless Bridge to put your printer on your net, as well. (That is my current set up.)

I have gone through all these configurations, myself. Getting your printer on your network, whichever way you need to, is definitely the way to go.

Collapse -
Re: Setting up wireless printer
by Bryanhoop / August 18, 2004 5:34 PM PDT

Your computers should see the printer, whether or not it is's probably a configuration issue. You have to enable file/print sharing on each computer, set up the printer as shared, with an 8-letter name or less, and if the computers are runnin xp, they should configure themselves if you have the wireless network set up right in the first place, (also check your firewall settings).

Collapse -
Re: Setting up a shared printer
by ChuckT / August 20, 2004 3:54 AM PDT

You only need to enable file and print sharing if you have files or printers on THIS computer (whichever one we are at, at the moment) that you want to share. That way those resources become available from some other computer.

What Fred wanted was a printer that could be accessible without requiring another computer being on at the same time. That was why I suggested a Print Server. A Print Server becomes a networked resource that any netizen can utilize. Enabling a computers print sharing is not necessary since the printer (conected through a print server) is not directly connected to any computer.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?