Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Setting up wireless network-Linksys WRT54G/Westell Wirespeed

by pillowsackhopper / August 8, 2005 4:50 AM PDT

Hi guys, right now I'm trying to set up a wireless network with a Linksys WRT54G Router. I'm trying to set it up with the internet through my Westell Wirespeed Dualconnect DSL modem, and have run into some problems. First of all, I cannot even finish the installation with Linksys' cd, because it cannot detect my internet connection when I plug the internet in through the ethernet port because I normally use my USB 2.0 ports to connect the modem and the ethernet port to share the connection with a cat-5 cable. How would I go about changing the settings back so that it connects to the internet through ethernet? I've tried the network and internet setup wizards, but nothing seems to work. When I directly plug in the internet through my ethernet port, it says that I have limited or no connectivity, and I'm guessing this is because it is expecting a connection to another computer. My goal is to get this network securely set up, and I appreciate any help you guys can give me.
Thanks in advance,
James.

Also, I just tried to rerun the verizon online DSL setup CD, but when I got to the part to setup my modem, it told me to connect through usb. How do I change my network settings/internet settings to allow me to get internet through ethernet again?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Setting up wireless network-Linksys WRT54G/Westell Wirespeed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Setting up wireless network-Linksys WRT54G/Westell Wirespeed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Only guessing...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2005 5:03 AM PDT

You used ICS to share the connection. You'll have to uninstall/remove ICS first.

Bob

Collapse -
In addition.....
by Michael Geist / August 8, 2005 9:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Only guessing...

some of these Westell DSL modems have an integrated router. You may have to change the modem to Bridge mode before it will work with your Linksys.

Collapse -
ICS?
by pillowsackhopper / August 9, 2005 5:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Only guessing...

ICS? Whats that? How do I check if I used it, and how would I uninstall it?

Collapse -
Why I noted it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2005 5:41 AM PDT
In reply to: ICS?

You noted you used the ethernet to share the internet on the PC. As such, that could be ICS.

Sorry, you've got me what your setup is now.

Best of luck unraveling it.

Bob

Collapse -
Still lost?
by pillowsackhopper / August 9, 2005 6:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Why I noted it.

What is ICS?

Collapse -
ICS is Windows 98se and beyond...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2005 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Still lost?

Internet Connection Sharing.

Widely discussed on the internet, but doesn't seem to apply to your setup.

Bob

Collapse -
Let's back up...
by Dick White / August 9, 2005 6:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Still lost?

and describe your previous physical setup. In your posts you mentioned a modem, a USB port, an ethernet cable, and "plugging in the internet." Can you be more explicit about what physically is plugged where, what exact devices you have, and any setup modifications you can remember having done.

For example, there is a phone wire from the jack in the wall to your DSL modem. You identified the DSL modem as a Westell Dual Connect. Would you turn the modem over and tell us the exact model number. Specifically, I am trying to determine whether you have a 2100 or a 2200 model. Next, you said something about a USB connection. Presumably this is a connection between the modem and your computer. Is this what you meant by "plugging in the internet?" Then you said something about an ethernet cable. Where is that plugged in - at both ends, i.e., where from and where to. Then you said something about "sharing" your internet connection. Sharing with what? Is there another computer in the picture? How is it connected to anything else physically? Do both computers access the internet simultaneously. And finally, regarding setup modifications to anything - do you know if your Verizon DSL connection is PPPoE or DHCP?

Once we have a better understanding of your configuration we might be able to help you sort it out.

dw

Collapse -
More details
by pillowsackhopper / August 9, 2005 12:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Let's back up...

Right now, I have the modem connected through the phone jack, and connected to this computer with a USB cable. The model of my modem is B90-210015-04, so it is the 2100 model. This computer then supplies the internet to my sister's laptop through a cat-5 cable. What I am trying to do is set up a wireless network so that this laptop can leave the room. Both computers access the internet at the same time. I currently have this computer set up to serve as a gateway to the other computers on the network, which is why it is connected through USB to the internet.

Collapse -
oh yeah..
by pillowsackhopper / August 9, 2005 12:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Let's back up...

and I dont know whether the connection is PPPoE or DHCP

Collapse -
Tell what "gateway" software you are using.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2005 1:03 PM PDT
In reply to: oh yeah..

In moving to a router, such is no longer going to be used.

Bob

Collapse -
OK...
by Dick White / August 9, 2005 1:30 PM PDT
In reply to: oh yeah..

The 2100 modem is a bridge modem only, it doesn't do either NAT or PPPoE. Don't worry what that means, just that it's good news. It is already a dumb plain pass-through, so you won't have to dumb it down so that it won't conflict with the router's functions. I am also going to make a wild guess here that you are in a part of the Verizon network that was GTE before it was bought by Verizon, and are not using PPPoE, but rather DHCP. If you were in an area that was BellAtlantic before Verizon that means you are on PPPoE and you have had your Verizon DSL for 3 or 4 years or longer (about then they started using the 2200 modem for PPPoE customers).

If the modem is connected by USB to your computer and then one computer to the other by ethernet, then you must be using ICS. There aren't many other options for doing what you say it is doing with the wires connected that way. You said you didn't know what ICS is. You will need to learn just enough about that to uninstall it.

After you get the ICS uninstalled, here is the wiring configuration of the new setup. The phone wire from the wall to the modem (unchanged from before) and then use the ethernet connection of the DualConnect modem to the WAN jack on the Linksys router. Then use another ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports on the router to your computer (which obviously means you will disconnect the laptop which previously was connected there). Do NOT use the same cable that was between the two computers - it was a cross-over cable. You will need a 2 new straight-through standard ethernet patch cables, for between the modem and router and from the router to your computer.

When you have all this set up, you should be able to use the Linksys setup CD to configure the router. When you have completed the wired connection from your computer to the internet, then start on the wireless configuration for the laptop.

let us know how it goes,
dw

Collapse -
hmmm....
by pillowsackhopper / August 9, 2005 5:34 PM PDT
In reply to: OK...

I understood everything you said except for the part about ICS. I looked it up and tried to find out how to disable/uninstall it, but I couldn't figure it out. Could you please explain it to me? I'm using XP SP2 by the way. Thanks.

Collapse -
easy steps:
by Dick White / August 9, 2005 11:27 PM PDT
In reply to: hmmm....

1) Click on Help and Support in your Start Menu. Lots of good information there about all kinds of things.

2) Google it. Lots of good information there about all kinds of things.

If you were to do either, you would discover:

A) Right click My Network Places and select Properties (or open Network Connections in Control Panel)

B) Right click on the Internet Connection item and select Properties

C) Click on the Advanced tab

D) Uncheck the Internet Connection Sharing items. While you are there, you might even click on the ''Learn more about Internet Connection Sharing'' link if you were so inclined.

When people commiserate to me that computers shouldn't be so difficult, I usually respond that actually they aren't. You just have to look for the easy answers that are already right there.

dw

Collapse -
If You Use Google
Collapse -
Solution
by ewiz06 / August 22, 2005 1:21 AM PDT

To save yourself the headache of a lot of guesswork, I would simply call Linksys technical support. They are open 24/7. They helped me this weekend to install my new wireless network (I purchased the exact same router you have). It took less than a minute to get through to a tech and once I did they took the time to walk me through everything I was having trouble with.

Not only were they polite, but they were patient as well. They certainly didn't try to rush me off of the phone. The best thing about their Tech support is that it is free. You can find their number by going to Linksys.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.