Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Setting up to dual-boot Vista 32/64 ?

by jcroskam / May 11, 2009 8:27 PM PDT

Hey all, first time poster here.

I am currently running Vista Home Premium 32-bit, and I have a copy of the 64-bit version coming in the mail soon. I ordered 64-bit so that I can use more than 4GB of RAM for gaming.

Anyway, I want to keep my current 32-bit version intact, so I have acquired a 2nd SATA hard drive and want to install the 64-bit version on that and be able to dual-boot from the different Hard Drives.

So my question is, how do I go about doing this? Is it as simple as just telling the 64-bit Vista to install on the secondary HDD and then choose which install I want on boot-up?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Setting up to dual-boot Vista 32/64 ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Setting up to dual-boot Vista 32/64 ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Send it back
by Jimmy Greystone / May 11, 2009 11:32 PM PDT

Send it back. Unless the game has a 64-bit client, or is specifically written to have 64-bit memory extensions, even running on Vista x64, it won't be able to use more than about 3.5GB of RAM.

BOTH the program AND the operating system have to be 64-bit for it to work. So unless you know for sure that the games you want to play are designed to be able to do 64-bit memory addressing, save yourself some money and send the extra copy of Vista back before you activate it. Same with the second hard drive, unless you have some other use for it.

Collapse -
If you do decide to proceed...
by John.Wilkinson / May 12, 2009 1:35 AM PDT

1.) Make sure you have a different, legitimate product key for each installation.
2.) Make sure both drives are connected during the install.

Then just install Windows Vista x64 normally to the second hard drive and the dual-boot will be created automatically.

Hope this helps,
John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.