TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Setting Up New HD LCD and TIVO

by HDTV Addict / July 29, 2006 10:54 AM PDT

I am getting ready to set up my 40'' JVC LCD. In the current set up with my old TV, I have a splitter right at the wall connection. One side goes directly into the TV for viewing when TIVO is recording something and the other goes into the TIVO box. As I see it now I will probably have to do the same thing once I have the new LCD up and running. Does splitting the cable line degrade the HD quality? One side would be for TIVO and the other would be for the HD programming. Would I benefit from having a double cable connection wall plate over just having a single and splitting the single? Any ideas, helpful input, or additional questioning is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jim K.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Setting Up New HD LCD and TIVO
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Setting Up New HD LCD and TIVO
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Couple of things
by Dan Filice / July 29, 2006 4:32 PM PDT

Splitting the cable shouldn't degrade the cable until you split it a few times. I have the single cable from the pole going into a 6-way splitter: Two lines go to HD cable boxes and four go directly into other TVs so they just get regular cable signals. The signal is fine in all TVs. How are you planning on getting HD programming? Do you have an HD cable box or cable card that will allow you to get HD without the cable box? Is your Tivo HD or Standard Def? The single cable brings in both SD and HD signals, but you need either the HD cable box or cable card to decipher the HD signal.

Collapse -
Actually.....
by kena10 / July 29, 2006 10:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Couple of things

Dan,

Not to be argumentative but, once you have a wall outlet and you add a splitter to it, it reduces the signal by about 3db, depending on the splitter or adaptor you use. HD service as provided by cable companies is extremely picky (at least in northern Virginia with cox and comcast). I was told by them that if their signal drops or goes above +5 or -5 db, the hd service will start to experience tiling issues and overall image and sound degradation. When the lines outside a house are split, they are amplified to ensure that the splits handle the signal degradation with no loss.

Just thought I'd give a little more info Happy

Jimmy

Collapse -
HD Cable Box
by HDTV Addict / July 29, 2006 10:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Actually.....

Thanks for the input. I will be getting my HD cable box and service on Tuesday morning from Comcast. I will only need two lines so I was thinking of getting a dual plate put in. Right now I have it split with a small splitter that I bought at radio shack.

Jim K.

Collapse -
Correct, Jimmy
by Dan Filice / July 30, 2006 4:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Actually.....

Actually, when my cable company came out to install the HD boxes, they checked the signal strength where the TV would be to make sure the signal would properly carry the HD signal. The connections where SD signals were didn't matter.

Collapse -
Standard Def TIVO
by HDTV Addict / July 29, 2006 10:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Couple of things

My TIVO box is Standard Def.

Jim K.

Collapse -
I have the same set up.
by naveen.iitd / July 30, 2006 1:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Standard Def TIVO

I have discovered that SD does not look good on HD Sets.
SD is for SD sets, not HD sets. I purchased a Vizio HDTV. These sets have the best SD pictures that I have seen so far. I have the same set up as you are describing. On my Vizio GL42 I have a awesome HD picture. Good Luck.

Collapse -
Output From HD Cable Box
by HDTV Addict / July 30, 2006 10:14 AM PDT

I haven't actually gotten my HD cable box yet. The way I see it, I will only need one cable line going into the HD cable box. Will the cable box have two outputs? I know COMCAST in my area only has a HDMI output on their DVR box which I'm not getting at this time. The way I want my system to work is one cable feed for watching HD programming and one cable feed for my TIVO. Any suggestions?

With my current set up, I split the cable line at the wall. The problem I see now is I need both cable lines to go throught the cable box so 1) I can watch all the HD channels on one side. 2) I can record via TIVO on all the channels on the other side.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?