HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

setting up a sub woofer

by mike4862 / October 10, 2009 12:00 AM PDT

I have new sub woofer which I am setting up to my surround sound system. It offers 3 options for set up.

Option 1. Use the LFE source from my receiver.
Option 2. Use front left/right speaker level source.
Option 3. Use the signal output from my HDTV monitor(connects to the sub LFE).

I am currently using Option 3 and it works good.

My question is, can I set up my sub with both Option 3 and Option 2 simultaniously?

This way if I don't want to use the receiver, only the HDTV, the sub will operate. But, if do use the receviever the sub will have two sources. Will it pass one signal and block the other to work properly?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: setting up a sub woofer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: setting up a sub woofer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not Recommended
by sunwatcher / October 10, 2009 5:31 AM PDT

If I understand correctly, you want to feed 2 outputs (HDTV and receiver) to one input on the subwoofer...correct?

That's something you're going to want to avoid doing for a number of reasons. One big reason is that you're likely to introduce some distortion since the signals won't be matched, not to mention there will be an electrical impedence mismatch. The subwoofer won't automatically block one signal and pass the other. Also the signal from one output would be fed into the output of the other, and you could end up damaging a component.

So unless you have some kind of switch for each output, keep just one LFE input to your subwoofer.

Collapse -
Setting up sub woofer
by mike4862 / October 10, 2009 10:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Not Recommended

Not comepletely like that.

I would connect the hdtv to the lfe and then connect the receiver speaker output to the speaker level inputs on the sub.

So that would be two separate sources to two separate connections on the sub.

Collapse -
I wouldn't recommend it
by ..ben / October 13, 2009 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Setting up sub woofer

Ignoring the question "Why would you want to bypass the receiver?", I'd say theoretically your setup is possible, but as sunwatcher mentioned, inputing two signals simultaneously is likely bad news for your gear.

Collapse -
Setting up woofer
by mike4862 / October 13, 2009 5:37 AM PDT

Thank you. I will not do the double set up.

Collapse -
keep it simple
by jesseberg / October 29, 2009 4:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Setting up woofer

if your still monitoring this the first reply was correct. i smoked a sub, and the sub output on my amp. when i was getting the amp fixed being it was still under warrenty they said it was most likely an impedence issue, to many cross signals and they gave out.a good receivers crossover is all you need.

Collapse -
keeping it simple
by mike4862 / October 31, 2009 8:10 AM PDT
In reply to: keep it simple

Thank you for your message.

I seem to get more volume out of the sub when I connect to the 'audio out' from my HDTV than I do when I connect at the speaker level from my receiver.

Would you know why?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.