Resolved Question

Setting up a raid after installing OS

This is my second DIY computer build. I've got a Gigabyte M68M-s2p motherboard with an AMD 840 quad core processor 4 GB ram, Segate Momentus Hybrid drive 2 Western Digital 1.5 TB HDD that I want to set up in a RAID 1 configuration and a LG blueray Rewitable drive. Hooked up everything, except the 2 western drives, installed operating system, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM, booted it up and after a few tries, got everything working.

Now my problem. I went to install the 2 WD drives followed the manual on how you're suppose to set up the RAID in the BIOS, I got that working. I booted it up again and went to 'My Computer' and I don't see my RAID. I see my hard drive where I put my OS, I see my optical, I even see the little Iomega ext HDD I hooked up just in case but I don't see my RAID drives.

The motherboard manual gave instructions on how to set up the RAID for the OS( which I don't want, thats why I got the Momentus Hybrid for my OS) and says you have to configure it when you install your OS. It dosen't give any tips or suggestions for installing one after. Same with the website. So I'm looking for any help or if anyones had this same kind of problem and how they resolved it.

Discussion is locked
Comp-phan has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: Setting up a raid after installing OS
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Setting up a raid after installing OS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
Sounds proper.

After we add a new drive, or a RAID set, My Computer should not show it. Here's why. Because there is no file system on said drive or array, My Computer has no reason to show the drive or array.

Did you try Disk Management to create a volume, partition then format that new volume?
Bob

- Collapse -
It worked, new problem now

Thanks for the suggestion, I got my RAID disk running now as my E: drive. But now I got a new problem. When I go to Start>Computer to look at my drives and folders, the first thing that pops up is this darn command prompt. Everytime I click on a folder or drive letter instead of responding normally with a window, this command prompt pops up ( like when you select dos prompt from accesories). I don't think its harming my system but its just annoying. I have to remember to left click and click OPEN to get a regular window. Is there any way to set the open file / folder command so that it will appear like a regular window?

- Collapse -
Something's not stock here.

CNET Forums