Cameras forum

General discussion

setting shutter speed beyond 1/1000 on sony dsc-h1

I have a Sony dsc-h1 and the maximum shutter speed I can set in manual mode is 1/1000. The specs state that the camera can go up to 1/2000. So what am I missing? Answers from people who have used this camera would be great.

Ricky

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: setting shutter speed beyond 1/1000 on sony dsc-h1
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: setting shutter speed beyond 1/1000 on sony dsc-h1
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sony H1

In reply to: setting shutter speed beyond 1/1000 on sony dsc-h1

According to a review of the camera.

The max. shutter speed in Manual is 1/1000
The max. shutter speed is 1/2000 in Auto and Program Auto.

Here is a link:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydsch1/

Scroll down to the specification chart and look in the bracket called Shutter Speeds.

Collapse -
thanks for your reply

In reply to: Sony H1

well that is strange I wonder why they don't allow you to set the shutter speed higher in manual mode. So I guess I'll have to use Aperture mode if I want to go to the higher speeds. I wonder if I'd ever use a shutter speed beyond 1/1500. The canon a540 that I had allowed you to set the shutter speed up to 1/1200. This sony is far better than the canon a540. Less noise in low light conditions and colors come out more vibrant and sharp compared to the canon. Thanks for your reply.

Ricky

Ricky

Collapse -
Shutter Speeds

In reply to: thanks for your reply

High shutter speeds are important from preventing motion blur on action shots.

But....high shutter speeds also require more light.
Most normal lighting conditions will prevent you from using shutter speeds above 1/500th of a second, unless you set the ISO to its maximum setting. Of course a high ISO settings brings more noise.

If you were using bright studio lights, you could use the faster shutter speeds with ease. Maybe you could catch that speeding bullet in flight.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.