Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Setting browser to stay expanded

by Rod2 / July 3, 2004 8:10 AM PDT

On an XP computer in IE6 I can manually stretch my web pages to fit the screen. I open up a couple more and stretch them also. After closing all three it keeps that setting. If I restart the computer however, that setting is lost. How do I keep that setting? I can use the maximize button but if necessary but it will loose that setting also. It's a pain to keep resetting the thing.

The same goes for the links bar. I can lock the top tool bar but the links bar dissapears after start up. Then I have to unlock it stretch it far enough for the links bar to appear. It's an HP computer and they have an HP view before the links bar. It's easy enough to uncheck it but it comes back checked after a start up. It doesn't appear however it's hidden unless I expand it. Hope that made sense.

Even my documents and others offline don't keep their setting. The windows just open to small. There must be tricks for this stuff. On my old machine it wasn't a problem. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Setting browser to stay expanded
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Setting browser to stay expanded
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Setting browser to stay expanded (try Tufenuf's fix)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2004 8:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Rod2 / July 3, 2004 9:07 AM PDT

It works of course. But it's smomething I have to do on every restart. That gets old quick. I wonder why it won't keep it's setting? The same browser does on the older machine. I even tried changing back to a normal window in properties, hoping I'd get lucky. No way there either. I'll just keep it maximized until I find a fix.

Now on to the links bar. I've tried everything possible but it always dissapears after restart. If something in XP causes this it not a very friendly OS.

thanks

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2004 9:16 AM PDT

If you want to dive into why it doesn't stick, tools are available such as REGMON and FILEMON (use Google) so you can note what's being changed and then go in and see if such is being changed back on reboot.

In short, this was not on the feature map of IE, but seems to work just fine in FireFox and Mozilla.

Bob

Collapse -
by Tufenuf / July 3, 2004 11:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / July 4, 2004 12:57 AM PDT
t works of course. But it's smomething I have to do on every restart. That gets old quick. I wonder why it won't keep it's setting?

1. The procedure has never failed to work even for those who first stated it had not simply because the instructions were not followed correctly:

Close the FIRST window opened not the one resized. Then close the one which was resized. Restart Internet Explorer.

2. When Internet Explorer is closed, the following value of the current window view, size, and toolbar settings are stored immediately in the system registry address following. When a second rendition of a browser window is opened in a new window, it opens using this value also.

Note: You may observe this writing of information on a system by either listening the hard drive spin up and make noise or watch the blinking system light on the front of the computer.

"Window_Placement"

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

3. Start the System Registry Editor (click Start, Run, type regedit, and then press Enter).

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

Note: Click the Plus box in front of HKCU to expand it and continue clicking/expanding appropriate folders (each word preceded by a backslash in the above key) until reaching the last folder named Main and click to bold/highlight it.

a. Look in the right window for the key "Window_Placement" and click once to bold/highlight.

b. Either save the key value into a "text" file (.txt) for later comparison should the anomaly continue or after selecting this key, press the Del key on the Keypad and respond with an affermative when asked.

c. Click Registry in the main menu and select Exit, or simply click the tiny x in the URHC of the window to close. Respond with an affermative when asked if any changes were actually made.

4. Return to the instructions for opening a new window in Internet Explorer and perform the correct procedure again to set the desired values.
Collapse -
by Rod2 / July 4, 2004 6:36 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply guys.(I do close the FIRST window opened FIRST.) It will keep the setting for that session. BUT after a "restart", IT WILL NOT. I exported the reg key, and saved it to text. I looked but didn't completely check the values again as it just seems futile.

As a note, for the session if I (shrink the window on top.) By closing the first window first, it responds by (shrinking it at the bottom). The top remains as normal (unchanged). So it does exactly the opposite of my intentions. Then I can't get to that window because the pointer will open any window expanded beneath it. I can however use the task bar button to minimize the other window/s so the one that is shrunk is the only option. I know there is a setting for that function somewhere, I just haven't found it. A tip on that is (definately) appreciated.

I'm just going to stay with maximized, it will be fine. Now if there is a way to retain settings on the desktop folder sizes, that is also (definately) appreciated. If that program that Tufenuf's mentioned will do both, I'll download it. My old ME system kept these settings, but once in a while I did have to resize the desktop folders.

Since I'm typing, lol The links bar goes away after a restart. Whether I locked the tool bar or not. When I right click on the upper tool bar, HP has this thing, (HP View) listed below links. Somehow, I'll have to call HP probably, to get rid of the thing. I think that might be part of (this) problem. I uncheck HP View on the tool bar but it keeps comming back. It only changes the size slightly by lowering the tool bars. I have 4 lines with the links bar so I don't want it any larger. I'd be a happy camper if this thing would keep some settings. Thanks again, Rod

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / July 4, 2004 10:50 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Setting browser to stay expanded ( FIXED )
by Rod2 / July 6, 2004 5:01 AM PDT

I found a link that helped. Here is the text.

When opening a new window in IE ver 6 the new window opens minimized. I want all windows to open maximized so I don't have to go to task bar and right click and then hit max. any suggestions?
Sure. Windows has a memory, it will reopen a window the same way you had it last. You can take the minimized window and drag the edges by holding your mouse arrow over the edge of the window until you see two arrows, then left click and hold the left button while dragging the window to the desired size. Now close the window. It will now reopen each time with that setting.

To keep Windows functionality correct, drag the window into a small position while the minimize button in the top right corner (next to the "X") of the window is selected and drag the window to a large position while the button is in the maximized position. Make sure you perform this procedure one at a time so that Windows will save each setting.

I must have done it right, it works. I shrunk it with the double arrows to the top right corner. The used the same procedure to expand it. It will hold any size I choose. The best part is, it keeps the setting after a restart. Moving from the sides did not hold after a restart.

Rod

Collapse -
Re: Setting browser to stay expanded
by Rod2 / July 6, 2004 4:05 AM PDT

[quote]The same goes for the links bar. I can lock the top tool bar but the links bar dissapears after start up. Then I have to unlock it stretch it far enough for the links bar to appear. It's an HP computer and they have an HP view before the links bar. It's easy enough to uncheck it but it comes back checked after a start up. It doesn't appear however it's hidden unless I expand it. Hope that made sense[/quote]

Well here is the answer, at least for the links bar, thought you might like to know. I found it after numerous searches. That was just bugging me to no end.

Or, try direct download link:
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software2/COL5097/pv-17688-1/SP24040.exe

[From HP: This update fixes an issue causing a user's customized settings in Internet Explorer to be undone when restarting the PC. Removes AutoTKit from the PC startup process]

Other option is to reset the Toolbar position in the registry using this REG:
http://mvps.org/sramesh2k/reg/IEToolbar.reg
[Close all browser windows and apply the .REG script]

It sure would save anyone with an HP a lot of greif. Now everything stays exactly where I put it. lol Now on to the last problem. IE does not save the window size after a restart.

Rod

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?