Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Samsung forum

General discussion

Setting auto select of inputs

by Scotty147 / March 3, 2010 1:47 AM PST

Bit embarrassed to ask but...

I have a Samsung LE 32B650T television connected to a Samsung HT-BD1252 Home Theatre system via an HDMI cable (to port 2 of the TV). Is it possible for the TV to switch to the Blu Ray input when it (the Blu Ray player) is switched on? Further to this, can the TV also automatically switch back to the Sky HD input (connected to the TV via an HDMI cable to port 1 of the TV)?

It is immensely frustrating to have to scroll through the source list to select the correct input and is proving to be quite difficult for my wife and kids to watch DVDs/Blu Rays and/or the TV when I'm not in the house to properly select the right input.

Sorry if this is a very stupid question!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Setting auto select of inputs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Setting auto select of inputs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Anynet
by jw650 / March 3, 2010 2:46 AM PST

If you have Anynet+ enabled on the TV, loading a disc will cause the TV to select the HT. You can then use the TV remote to control play-back, including menu selection through "Tools". Turning the HT off will revert control back to TV, not another source.

That's how mine works. If yours doesn't, try disconnecting the Sky box. It's known to interfere with Anynet+ type links.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680883

Collapse -
Setting up automatic switching of sources (and Anynet+)
by Scotty147 / March 3, 2010 7:11 PM PST
In reply to: Anynet

So there's no way of setting the TV to automatically default back to the Sky STB? I'd rather not disconnect the Sky HD box as the majority of TV that we watch is on the satellite channels (not to mention the fact that I pay for the service!).

Is there a link for a good explanation of Anynet+ (in terms of what it can do and how to configure it to your preferences)? As it stands, I believe that it's just a means of controlling all Samsung devices with one remote - something that I can do with the HT remote anyway.

Collapse -
Anynet+
by jw650 / March 3, 2010 10:28 PM PST

I only suggested disconnecting Sky box as a test to see if it was suppressing Anynet+ functions. There's a cable mod in the link if it is.

The user guides should describe the functions. The TV will come out of standby when you play a disc, but it won't switch off when you put the HT into standby. Switching off the TV should switch off the HT as well. The HT can also be switched on through the TV Tools or Source menu to switch audio from the TV to the HT speakers.

The TV will auto-select from a SCART device when it comes out of standby, so you could connect to the Sky box that way, though I think you'd need to switch to HDMI for HD.

I find the TV remembers which source it was using when switched off, so it should select the Sky box initially if it was the last source you were watching.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 6, 2010 11:21 AM PST

Scotty147,

If Anynet+ disables a device, it will automatically switch to the TV input, not an HDMI or component, even if that was the last source used. The TV co-ax tuner is an "always on" connection, and that's what the television will default to.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by steveuk71 / November 29, 2010 4:53 AM PST

Scotty, I have a similar problem and it is very frustrating.

I have a new LED Samsung TV and very pleased with the picture quality but ...

I have two devices connected by HDMI (1) SKY HD STB and (2) PS3 and only ever need to switch between the two. I have no aerial connection for terrestial TV, I have no need for this as I am sure it is the same for many because I have a SKY STB.

I have managed to setup the PS3 to work with anynet and it switches to the correct HDMI input when powered on - perfect.

But when the PS3 is powered off, the TV switches back to TV - EVEN THOUGH IT WAS ON THE SKY HDMI originally. Yes this is frustrating because I then have to get the remote to toggle through source to get back to SKY HDMI. Worse than that because I don't have an aerial connected it keeps putting up wizard "you have no channels set up" when toggle past TV source.

Samsung HDTech, it would be nice to disable inputs (like) TV Aerial if not using them, because for many this is certainly not an "always on" connection!!

Also why not switch back to the original source selected when disabling an ANYNET device - SIMPLES !!

Collapse -
Auto-switching
by jw650 / December 2, 2010 5:07 AM PST

Samsung TVs don't seem to auto-switch on HDMI, unlike Panasonic ones. You could connect a SCART lead in parallel - this asserts control when switched on. With a UHF cable between Sky box and TV, you could tune in to the RF channel from the box - this would ensure reversion to the Sky box. Of course, neither option would give HD, but at least you wouldn't get a blank screen, and you could then switch to HDMI when you wanted to improve the picture quality.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!