HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Seth Rosenblatt & Rafe Needleman, CNET editors Live!

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / September 3, 2008 6:25 PM PDT

Google Chrome live chat!

What's on everyone lips these days? Google Chrome! And if you have questions about this new browser, you've come to the right place! On Thursday, September 11, for one whole hour starting at 11 a.m. PT (2 p.m. ET), the Ask the Editors Live chat event is all about Google Chrome. Our special hosts--Webware Editor Rafe Needleman and CNET Download.com Editor Seth Rosenblatt, both gurus on browsers and Web apps--will be here to discuss and answer any question you may have on the new browser on the block. So bring your question on Google Chrome to this event, and let's see if they have answers for you. Don't miss out!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Seth Rosenblatt & Rafe Needleman, CNET editors Live!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Seth Rosenblatt & Rafe Needleman, CNET editors Live!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Future of extension support?
by John.Wilkinson / September 10, 2008 11:47 PM PDT

I won't be around later, so I'm force-adding this now. Happy

In the press releases from Google I know that they are looking to add support for the creation and usage of third-party extensions in the future, but am wondering if a timeframe has been set, be it a date or milestone. It's great for someone who wants a slim, fast browser, but at this point it simply lacks the functionality many users need/expect.

Thanks!
John

Collapse -
Nobody knows as far as we know.
by rafe CNET staff / September 11, 2008 3:57 AM PDT

We agree, too. Extension support is a big hole in Chrome right now.

Collapse -
Nope.
by srosenblatt / September 11, 2008 4:00 AM PDT

Just agreeing here to make sure all systems are go.

Collapse -
(NT) Good morning! Rafe Needleman here, Got questions on Chrome? Let us have it! Seth will be here in just a second. And by the way, YES, I am using Chrome right now.
by rafe CNET staff / September 11, 2008 3:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
Smooth Scrolling
by lyingfriar / September 11, 2008 4:02 AM PDT

I've tried out Chrome for a couple of days, and I really like it! My computer has been locking up with a blue screen of death, and I think it's partially because of Firefox and all it's resource hogging.

Anyways, is there a way to enable a smooth scrolling feature, like Firefox? When I use the page up/down button, it's very blocky in its scrolling.

Thanks,
Brad

Collapse -
We're looking
by rafe CNET staff / September 11, 2008 4:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Smooth Scrolling

It's not a standard option at the moment. I find that using the mouse wheel (instead of arrows) gives me better control.

Collapse -
More info
by rafe CNET staff / September 11, 2008 4:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Smooth Scrolling
Collapse -
Open source...
by blaxjac / September 11, 2008 4:08 AM PDT

What's going to stop Firefox from incorporating the strenghts of this browser into their own product?

Collapse -
Nothing!
by rafe CNET staff / September 11, 2008 4:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Open source...

In fact, the Google guys seem to want the Mozilla team to incorporate their code.

However, some fundamentals of the two products are very different. Firefox and Chrome use different rendering engines. They do, however, share code in how they handle media extensions.

Collapse -
Default Browser
by bluesrich / September 11, 2008 4:10 AM PDT

Is there anyway to change my default browser from Firefox 3 to Chrome as I love it and it works so much better, but i have tried doing this but it just doesnt allow me to do it, can you please help, thankyou, by the way great job

Collapse -
Yes
by srosenblatt / September 11, 2008 4:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Default Browser

Click on the wrench in the upper right of Chrome. Go to Options, and the default browser setting is at the bottom.

Collapse -
Congratulations!
by drakal / September 11, 2008 4:10 AM PDT

Congratulations
I starting using it about two days ago and love it
Keep the good work.
Thank you very much
Yeranui

Collapse -
Tell the Google guys
by rafe CNET staff / September 11, 2008 4:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Congratulations!
Collapse -
Chrome portable?
by satheesh1979 / September 11, 2008 4:11 AM PDT

Will there be a portable edition of Chrome in the future so that i can carry my fav browser with me in my thumb drive?

Collapse -
Yes
by rafe CNET staff / September 11, 2008 4:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Chrome portable?
Collapse -
Browser Speed
by GhostMale66 / September 11, 2008 4:12 AM PDT

What makes Chrome and Firefox so fast? Why can't IE (or others) seem to make their browsers fast? Personally, I like Maxthon 2 because it's so incredibly configurable and has a lot of cool options, but Firefox (and now chrome) are simply faster.

Collapse -
Evolution
by rafe CNET staff / September 11, 2008 4:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Browser Speed

Chrome is fresh, based on a relatively new open-source rendering engine called Webkit. Google also wrote a brand new Javascript interpreter, called V8.

The state of the art advances, and the Chrome team was able to use the latest technology for their browser without worrying about the legacy code.

Collapse -
Chrome crashes in fedora?
by satheesh1979 / September 11, 2008 4:13 AM PDT

I hv fedora linux and chrome doesn't run in fedora.

Collapse -
not for linux yet
by srosenblatt / September 11, 2008 4:16 AM PDT

Google is apparently working on Chrome for Linux (and Mac), but hasn't provided a release date. Or month, even.

Collapse -
Any word on the "form-fill" feature?
by pbookman / September 11, 2008 4:14 AM PDT

I've come to rely on this Google Toolbar feature, especially for eCommerce sites.

Collapse -
No news of that yet
by rafe CNET staff / September 11, 2008 4:16 AM PDT

It's one of those annoying omissions you notice just you're getting comfortable with the new product.

Chrome does an OK job with remembering passwords, at least.

Collapse -
Ad blocking?
by TheTonkster / September 11, 2008 4:16 AM PDT

Are there any ad blocking addons for Chrome yet?

Collapse -
no add-ons but...
by srosenblatt / September 11, 2008 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Ad blocking?
Collapse -
Google Chrome keystroke logging

Should we as consumers be worried about our privacy?

Collapse -
Feeding information to Google?
by BrettGlass / September 11, 2008 4:17 AM PDT

While Rafe will remember me as a computer journalist (and I still do write one article a month for various technology publication), I am now primarily an ISP. We are constantly removing the Google Toolbar from users machines, because it takes up screen real estate, spies on users' browsing, and consumes resources on the users' machines and Internet connections.. One of the biggest concerns we have about a Google browser is that it's likely to build in these annoyances. What do you think?

Collapse -
It's a valid concern
by rafe CNET staff / September 11, 2008 4:21 AM PDT

Also for n3td3v...

This is a valid concern. The original terms of service for Chrome were frightening to many, and Google changed them. I expect Google to try to stay in front of user fears on this one, but there is no question that using Chrome gives Google a lot of info. It's a question of how much you trust the company.

Chrome does have a "private browsing" feature for in-home secure browsing.

BTW: Hi Brett! Great to hear from you.

Collapse -
Rendering engine?
by jeremykr / September 11, 2008 4:18 AM PDT

What rendering engine does this use? Will designers have to worry about page rending/compatibility in yet another web browser?

Collapse -
Webkit
by srosenblatt / September 11, 2008 4:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Rendering engine?

Same as in Safari, different typography engine. Open-source.

As far as page-rendering goes, there's the Acid3 test and W3C HTML standards to abide by. Designers should always be worried about cross-browser design.

Collapse -
pop-up blocker, integrated firewall, download manager and antivirus scanner?
by satheesh1979 / September 11, 2008 4:19 AM PDT

Does chrome support these features spell checker, pop-up blocker, integrated firewall, download manager and anti virus scanner?

Collapse -
DM yes, others no

Chrome doesn't have them now, except for the download manager. But it's meager compared to the native one in Firefox.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.