Computer Help forum

General discussion

set up 2 computers

Hi Guys
How do I set up 2 computers to run and exchange info between themselves
My set up is xp on both but 2 different discs
cabled to a router and then to a broadband modem
I want to be able to see both pcs and most importantly get both pcs to use the printer that is connected to only 1 pc via usb
I want to do this without using wi-fi
thanks
skip1

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: set up 2 computers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: set up 2 computers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"I want to do this without using wi-fi"

In reply to: set up 2 computers

So you want a wired network. The most common way is to connect a router to you broadband internet connection and then each PC to the router. As to sharing files and printers if you are a beginner I suggest you try NETWORK MAGIC (see google.)

Bob

Collapse -
connect 2

In reply to: "I want to do this without using wi-fi"

Dont really want to spend money on this just want to play about and make a mess of things(no really I'd like to try and learn how)
thanks
skip1

Collapse -
So what networking parts do you have?

In reply to: connect 2

If none then we'll have to wait till you get some.

Collapse -
connecting 2 pc

In reply to: So what networking parts do you have?

i have the hardware but the software (network magic)is not free so dont want to spend more
skip1

Collapse -
Try again.

In reply to: connecting 2 pc

What most need to do will get done with Network Magic for free. By you writing such it appears you have not tried this title.

And let's look at the answer to my question. Sorry, it's not clear to me so I'll wait while you try to share exactly what we have to work with and then wait again for you to try the magic.
Bob

Collapse -
connecting 2 with wires

In reply to: connecting 2 pc

i have 2 pcs
1 router 3 ethernet cables
1 broadband modem. I can run both pcs at the same time via the router but cant get them to use the same printer or see each other as part of a network
what do I need to do?
thanks
skip1

Collapse -
Frankly Network Magic

In reply to: connecting 2 with wires

Even in its trial mode and demo makes this all too easy.

But for you here's what I do.

I share the (un-named make model printer).
I connect to that share on the network.

Done.

I did skip all the issues of network names, accounts, shares, drivers and all that since you are not telling which item is giving you grief plus you didn't try the Network Magic. It appears you may want some step by step instruction but this is a small text box and such instructions are plentiful on the net. Here I ask you to tell where you got stuck.
Bob

Collapse -
comp connect

In reply to: Frankly Network Magic

fair enough
i will look at network magic first then get back to u guys
skip1

Collapse -
Now we are seeing a little of the picture of your issue.

In reply to: set up 2 computers

It doesn't match your top post but I see Network Magic could just fix it. It appears you don't want to give it a try so here's the list.

1. Network group name matches.
2. You have an account on each machine.
3. You create the share after the accounts are correct.
4. You set the firewall to allow networking.

It is that simple and the only caveat is spyware that hijacked the winsock. For XP you clean off the spyware then do this -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.