Mac OS forum

General discussion

Set of routines similar to disk cleanup in Windows?

by qqqq88 / November 6, 2010 7:08 AM PDT

Is there a Mac OS X utility that does all the tasks done by Disk Cleanup utility in Windows in order to keep the operating system running as fast as possible?

What is your personal maintenance routine? Do you just do each task individually or have an all-in-one solution?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Set of routines similar to disk cleanup in Windows?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Set of routines similar to disk cleanup in Windows?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's not necessary
by Jimmy Greystone / November 6, 2010 8:08 AM PDT

It's not necessary, on Windows or Mac OS X. Disk Cleanup is a complete waste of time. It basically just empties the trash and deletes a few non-essential files. None of which has any impact on performance whatsoever.

By and large, computers do not require day to day maintenance. That is all taken care of behind the scenes automatically. Doesn't matter if it's Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, or something else. They require very little intervention on our part these days, but that doesn't stop people from resisting change... Even when it's a change that benefits them.

You don't need registry cleaners/fixers/whatever (on Windows) because they tend to cause more problems than they ever fix. Defragmenting is pointless for 99.999999999999% of people, and if you're part of the 0.0000000001% who would benefit, there's an excellent chance you'd know it. Virus scanners are (currently) unnecessary for Mac OS X, and have less and less importance on Windows with most threats now moving to exploiting applications like Flash, Internet Explorer, etc. If you avoid dodgy websites, don't run your mouth off on the wrong forums and chat rooms, keep up with security patches, steer clear of file sharing programs as well as pirated movies/software/music, and know enough not to open any random attachment sent to you in an email, you've pretty well done everything there is to be done. The routine maintenance will be handled automatically. Just sit back, enjoy a beverage of your choice, and go about life.

Collapse -
ok
by qqqq88 / November 8, 2010 3:08 AM PST
In reply to: It's not necessary

Thanks for those comments Jimmy. I'm wondering whether a 30mb cache size is considered normal for Firefox. If it's bloated maybe by deleting it I can surf faster. And what about temporary internet files on my Mac? This machine was likely poorly maintained in the past so it'd be nice to check the folder size of files like this.

Collapse -
Those are fine
by Jimmy Greystone / November 8, 2010 9:23 AM PST
In reply to: ok

Those are fine, and removing browser cache slows things down if anything. Only within the web browser, but still, it tends to hinder performance rather than improve it if you remove that cache.

You're really overthinking this whole thing. Macs are the closest thing to a computer appliance that exists today. They don't need a lot of maintenance of any kind. That is the benefit of the Unix underpinning of Mac OS X. Unix was designed to be a 24/7/365 OS, so there's a lot of stuff going on that is designed to facilitate that which Apple inherits.

Collapse -
Normal operation
by sturner--2008 / November 9, 2010 6:21 AM PST

on the Mac and leaving it running overnight will allow the built in routines to run. These clean up the logs and caches. There are a daily, weekly, and monthly routine which will run. If you download such utilities as Onyx, Cocktail, Yasu, etc., they will allow you to run these routines at will.

They will also allow you additional ways to customize some of your system options. Onyx also allows you access to the Unix man pages that accompany the OS, but are nominally hidden from normal users.

Collapse -
Clean Up Mac OS X
by terryh2113 / November 12, 2010 9:30 PM PST

You Can Use OynX, It's Free. Or You Can Use AppleJack (donation ware). AppleJack Has To Be Run In Single User Mode By Holding Down The Command + S Keys On Start Up.

Collapse -
OnyX
by onemoremile / November 12, 2010 11:38 PM PST

I use OnyX occasionally. I only use it when my Mac seems to have slowed down and it seems to help. It clears some caches, repairs permissions and does several other maintenance tasks. The improvement may all be imaginary, although it makes me feel better!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!