HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Services for Windows7 SP1

by michhala / April 2, 2011 8:24 AM PDT

Question 1....Is Black Viper still a good source for info on configuring services?

Question 2....I brought Black Viper Configuration Chart for SP1 to my computer using Excel option. It came with file extension xls instead of xlsx. I can open the xls file but have to go through a Q&A process first. How can I change the extension for this one file to xlsx?

What would this blonde do without Cnet Forums! Happy

Miki
Windows7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Services for Windows7 SP1
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Services for Windows7 SP1
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re OP
by michhala / April 2, 2011 9:49 AM PDT

I still need an answer to Question 1.....but pls disregard Question 2 as I solved the file extension problem. My thanks.....Miki

Collapse -
I Use Black Viper's Recommendations As A Starting Point
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 2, 2011 12:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Re OP

Only you can say what you prefer, but yes, the charts provide basic information you can use to set things up.

And hopefully, you found that opening an .xls file, then choosing "File-Save as" gives you options to save as different file types.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thank you, Grif and...
by michhala / April 2, 2011 12:27 PM PDT

...yes, I found the option to save as different file type when I chose "File-Save as". It was one of those moments from which I derived the satisfaction of figuring something out for myself Wink

Miki

Collapse -
Honestly
by Jimmy Greystone / April 2, 2011 12:42 PM PDT

Honestly, people attach WAAAY too much significance to these things. Yes, shutting down unnecessary services can improve performance, but on the average system of today, we're talking probably a 1-2% performance gain, if that.

Shutting down unneeded services made a whole lot more sense before dual, quad, and sextet core CPUs came along. With so much parallel processing power, mostly sitting idle, the gains to be had from shutting down excess services has all but disappeared. Especially with a better process scheduler like you have in Windows 7, that's quite a bit more multi-core savvy compared to the XP and Vista schedulers.

I have no doubt that this info will continue to persist much like other bits of outmoded information. You still see people who haven't figured out the lithium ion batteries that have been used in laptops for about the past decade or so, don't suffer from memory effect like the old nickel cadmium batteries. But my advice, would be not to spend much time and energy worrying about it. You'll see little to no benefit for your average day to day type tasks.

Collapse -
You may be right, Jimmy.....
by michhala / April 2, 2011 6:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Honestly

....but it can't hurt to run your computer in an efficient and clean manner and to eliminate unneeded excess baggage.....miki

Collapse -
There's can't hurt
by Jimmy Greystone / April 2, 2011 11:56 PM PDT

There's can't hurt and then there's doesn't help. This is more of the latter than the former.

It's like spending a couple thousand dollars to have someone tweak the gear ratio in your car's transmission because it will get you a couple extra miles to the gallon of fuel. You probably won't own the car long enough to recoup the expense in terms of improved gas mileage saving you money at the pump. So it can't hurt, but at the same time, it doesn't help. The gains are just too small.

Most of the services that are considered "excessive" might run for a few milliseconds a day. They might activate, look for any work, and then go dormant again if there's nothing. Whole process probably taking roughly about the amount of time it takes to blink an eye. This might happen 2-3X per day. We won't even go in to the unhealthy obsession our culture has developed with efficiency. Everyone's in a hurry to get somewhere. They don't even know where it is they're in a hurry to get to, but they have to be there 10 minutes ago. If your system is so efficient that you're down to rooting out things that only take a few milliseconds a day, then you shouldn't be wasting your time here, you should be out on some professional lecture circuit raking in the cash explaining to Fortune 500 companies how they can achieve the same kinds of efficiencies.

Collapse -
Jimmy......
by michhala / April 3, 2011 6:24 AM PDT
In reply to: There's can't hurt

I am a good housekeeper....in my home and on my computer. I have a security system, locked gates and a German Shepherd to keep my house as safe as possible and to avoid unwanted visitors. Why would I not do the same for my computer which is susceptible to even more unwanted visitors than my home and which would cause even more interruption to my life than a breakin to my house if it was hacked or not in top condtion.

It is so easy to change Services configurations and eliminate such as those that will never be used or might share info that could possibly compromise security or at the very least, efficiency. Why would one not do so and instead choose to allow the defaults of Microsoft or the manufacturer to decide how you want to use your computer?

Miki
Dell Studio XPS 8100
Win7 SP1 64-bit

Collapse -
That's a false analogy
by Jimmy Greystone / April 3, 2011 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Jimmy......

That's a false analogy, since Windows' services are rarely targeted for exploitation compared to say Internet Explorer, Adobe Acrobat, or Adobe Flash.

The customization argument holds some water, normally, but there's no real customization going on with services, so it really doesn't apply here either. Unless we're talking about you disliking the Aero UI and turning it off in favor of a more Windows 2000 style interface, we're not really talking about customization.

I'm not going to stop you if you're bent on doing this, but I am going to attempt to strip away the rationalizations you've used to convince yourself that it's a good thing. If, after all that, you still want to go ahead, knock yourself out. Just do so based on facts, not some perceived (but imaginary) benefit.

To paraphrase the late great George Carlin: We bought a Saab! Well what'd you buy a Swedish piece of crap like that for? It's a safe car! Some of these people think that by buying a safe car it excuses them the responsibility of having to learn how to DRIVE the bloody thing! First you learn to drive, THEN you buy your safe car!

So I'm not sure who you're trying to convince more right now, me or you. Just don't mistake my intentions like so many do. I'm just here to strip away all the nonsense and leave you with the raw naked facts. Then you can make a decision based on that raw information, and not some warm fuzzy feeling that won't really do much to protect you should the situation arise.

Collapse -
To each his/her own, Jimmy
by michhala / April 3, 2011 6:57 AM PDT
In reply to: That's a false analogy

Your words have no effect on my thinking....perhaps your efforts will be more appreciated by someone else....miki

Collapse -
Services
by Bob__B / April 4, 2011 12:43 AM PDT

I went through that exercise sometimes in the past.....great fun.
I managed to turn off quite a few.
You'll get very friendly with Goggle.

If your doing this just to play.....go for it.

If your expecting great things to happen I suspect your going to be disappointed.

Best I can tell I saved a little ram and maybe a few cpu cycles.

Nice rainy weekend project.

Collapse -
Bob....not a "project".
by michhala / April 4, 2011 2:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Services

Bob -- I am not reconfiguring Services for any of the reasons you mentioned.
I simply do not like so many things running and contributing to high CPU usage.

It is a very simple project to change a Service configuration -- I use Black Viper's "Safe" list to guide me. The list shows which of the default Services are safe to change. I believe there are 19 on the list, some of which I do not have on my computer. Before changing I check the Service for its dependencies and actions...... Really no biggie!!!!!

Miki

Collapse -
Sounds good
by Bob__B / April 5, 2011 12:49 AM PDT

Go for it.

Can't see where it will do any harm to remove unneeded services.

Collapse -
(NT) Will do, Bob...thank u
by michhala / April 5, 2011 7:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Sounds good
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.