Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

ServiceHost Exe.

My computer has gotten extremely slow in the last couple of weeks. It is slow loading the desktop, seems to have something working in the background, (yet no processes are running). Also very slow on the internet, (some sites), home page, and a few others.
I am running a PIII-500, 256 mem. two HD's, 20 and 13. 56 k modem. Win Xp Pro. The system was working fine up to about two weeks ago, and for some reason got very slow. I have ZA, (free version), AVG, run Microsofts Antispyware, Spybot, and Adaware weekly. In trying to go throught the process of elimination, I find that I have five ServiceHost.exe listed under processes running, for a total of 37,144 memory usage. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but, could that amount of usage be part of my problem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ServiceHost Exe.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ServiceHost Exe.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Viper, are you sure it is

In reply to: ServiceHost Exe.

"ServiceHost.exe" and not "svchost.exe"? The latter is normal for XP, the former is not.

Collapse -
svchost.exe

In reply to: Viper, are you sure it is

You are correct, but should I have that many running?

Collapse -
Yes, that is normal,

In reply to: svchost.exe

You've said that you've already done spyware/adware.etc/ scans. How about virus scans? It sounds like you have an older computer with Pentium III and 256RAM. Do you have plenty of free space left, etc. Have you cleaned out temporary internet files, history, etc? Have you defragged lately?

Collapse -
I hope it's normal...

In reply to: ServiceHost Exe.

Since I have seven svchost.exe processes running...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I checked and I also have 7 svchost.exe processes runni

In reply to: I hope it's normal...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.