Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Service Pack 2 (SP2)

by dana.charlton / March 22, 2006 11:47 AM PST

My computer has Windows XP. In one of those pop-ups from Microsoft telling me that updates were ready for my computer, offering me SP2, I accidentally clicked OK, and couldn't stop the download! I was under the impression that there is a substantial amount of preparation for SP2, and hadn't done any of that (not intending to download it at that time). In an effort to get rid of SP2, I did a "system recovery" to a few days prior, but that only messed up my Norton anti-virus program, so I undid the recovery. So far, I don't see any problems with SP2, but am "waiting for the other shoe to drop". What should I anticipate? Should I try to remove SP2? How? Many thanks for your time & attention.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Service Pack 2 (SP2)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Service Pack 2 (SP2)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Service Pak 2
by byker49 / March 22, 2006 12:07 PM PST
In reply to: Service Pack 2 (SP2)

I would just leave it alone. If Sp2 is installed then you are good to go. Cross other bridges when you get to them.

Collapse -
Service Pak 2
by dana.charlton / March 22, 2006 6:17 PM PST
In reply to: Service Pak 2

I appreciate your reply -- with all the horror stories I've read I was putting off installing it, expecting a lot of technical work & problems to be involved. Okay, I'll just hope for the best! Thank you very much.

Collapse -
Updates
by phantazy / March 22, 2006 6:26 PM PST

From memory there are forty plus updates after SP2, so you will be in line for those. Windows likes you to configure automatic install, but my advice is although it takes longer, install one at a time, as issues resulting from a bulk load woould take additional time trying to find a bad 'un.

Collapse -
SP2
by dana.charlton / March 24, 2006 1:47 AM PST
In reply to: Updates

Thank you for your posting. Now that I've calmed down over what I thought was a calamity, I'm just keeping my antennae up for unexpected glitches. Nonetheless I'll be sure to do the updates manually. Thanks again. This is a great discussion board!

Collapse -
Sp2
by trkcoach22 / March 24, 2006 2:16 AM PST
In reply to: SP2

I've had to download SP2 twice...the first time it was auotmatic...no problems. The second was because I reformated my HD and did it manualy ...no problems.
I wouldn't worry about a full glass of milk that hasn't spilt yet.

Collapse -
SP2
by dana.charlton / March 25, 2006 8:14 AM PST
In reply to: Sp2

Thank you -- I'm going to get a plate of cookies to go with that milk instead!

I do appreciate your message.

Collapse -
re sp2
by ddbpack / March 25, 2006 12:38 PM PST

if you downloaded and have no problems. then you are good to go! just leave it be

Collapse -
SP2 - AGAIN
by dana.charlton / March 25, 2006 9:42 PM PST
In reply to: re sp2

I appreciate everyone's helpful replies, and now I it looks like I didn't install SP2 after all (I thought I'd inadvertently installed it from one of the Microsoft Updates in the toolbar when I logged on). I hadn't done ANY preparatory work and was panicking. This morning I checked which version of Windows I have and it reads:

Windows Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp2.050301-1526: Service Pak 1)

In my Add/Remove Programs it's listed under Microsoft Hotfixes. So did I install SP2 or just a hotfix for it? What's the ''build'' all about? I've got Windows XP on my computer. Can anyone please offer me guidance? I feel so frustratingly ignorant with this.

Thank you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?