General discussion

"Service 'AVGIDS Agent' could not be stopped"

I have attempted twice to install AVG11. I got this message twice:

Service "AVGID Agent" could not be stopped. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to stop system services.

I'm running Windows XP Home on an HP pavillion a706n.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: "Service 'AVGIDS Agent' could not be stopped"
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: "Service 'AVGIDS Agent' could not be stopped"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Full installation instructions
- Collapse -

Thanks, but too late. I went into task manager and stopped the process myself. Still had problems, though. The installation didn't seem to quite finish, computer locked up, I turned it off by the power button. Turned it on a while later, installation seemed to be complete, but when I wanted to update AVG (Windows said it was out of date) the computer locked up again. Off by the button again. Very frustrated by now. Thinking I probably shouldn't have manually stopped the process. A few hours later, turned on the computer, AVG started to update itself. My computer has been working normally since.

CNET Forums

Forum Info