This is the closest-to-the-right-forum I could
see for this issue.

Issue Description:

My hardware configuration is as follows:

hd1 Windows XP Home
hd2 Linux Mandriva 2009
hd3 Raid
hd4 Raid

The master boot record is on XP of course and I can boot into either XP or Linux.

I would like to install NT4 Server on top of the hd1 Windows XP Home operating system.
However, immediately upon inserting the install disk the following message appears.

"It is not recommended that Windows NT 4.0 be installed on this version of Windows."

Before I go any further, I need to find an answer to why this is the case.

This is the first attempt to install NT4 server in this scenario.

XP Service pack 3 is installed with 512mb RAM and a 2gb AMD Athlon CPU.
The file system is NTFS and there is 2.5gb free hard drive memory.

Thanks for any assistance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Server software install error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Server software install error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Won't go on top.

In reply to: Server software install error

Windows NT 4 has severe limits on what boot drives it will install to.

You could install it CLEAN but I bet you would be challenged to find the drivers and more.

Why not run it inside Virtual Box?

And the answer is rather simple. NT's installer does not support what you tried.
Bob

Collapse -
OK - Virtual Box

In reply to: Won't go on top.

is.......

As I said this is my first attempt.

If the NT installer won't do what I want, would formatting
the drive and doing a CLEAN NT install be an option?

The drive meets the minimum requirements.

What exactly were you referring to doing a Virtual Box
NT install?

Collapse -
No.

In reply to: OK - Virtual Box

"If the NT installer won't do what I want, would formatting
the drive and doing a CLEAN NT install be an option?"

No. You just wrote one of the biggest gaffes for installing Windows (almost every version NT and after NT.) We never format the drive before the install (except the old DOS based Windows.) Just booting the NT CD lets us delete partitions, create new partitions and the NT installer will format it proper.

"The drive meets the minimum requirements."

NT has issues with today's large drives. I'll let you research that.

"What exactly were you referring to doing a Virtual Box
NT install?"

Google Virtual Box for full details.
Bob

Collapse -
Honestly

In reply to: Server software install error

Honestly -- and this isn't meant to be insulting in any way, just an honest assessment -- given your demonstrated skill level, you should really rethink installing NT4. Setting aside the fact that it is no longer supported in any way, was replaced by Windows 2000 about 10 years ago, and finding drivers for ANY of your system's hardware will likely be impossible... You have shown you don't really have the skill set needed to use something like NT4.

It's just the sad but true facts. Your first post here is riddled with technical errors, you think installing an OS is like installing any other application, and even despite some rather heavy hand holding from Bob, you're still hopelessly lost. I'm sorry, but at some point someone has to tell you this. It's nothing personal, just trying to save you a lot of frustration.

Collapse -
What's sad is that

In reply to: Honestly

you guys aren't even Microsoft Certified and espouse your hack
wisdom to poor unsuspecting souls on this occasionaly super cold highway. (Brilliant prose by the way) Can you understand it?

Get a life.

I carry a MS in computer information systems and have
done numerous highly complex projects. I have no reason to
quibble with your arrogant ways.

Good bye.

Collapse -
Good. Now try this.

In reply to: What's sad is that

Help the fellow above with their install. If you went to the trouble of posting, why not help?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.