Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Server Service Won't Start

by nassok / February 6, 2004 11:28 AM PST

Greetings,

I am attempting to network 2 Win XP Pro computers via crossover cable. Computer A has a dial up internet connection, printer, scanner, etc. Computer B has none of the above. I installed the NIC cards and drivers on both computers, connected the crossover to the NIC cards, ran the Network Wizard on computer A, ran the Network Wizard on Computer B. Everything went well, no errors no blue screens. I am able to access all of Computer A's shared files and internet, and printer on Computer B. It works better than I could have imagined.

But there is a problem. I cannot see anything from Computer B on Computer A. I ran the Wizard several times to make sure that the computer name is correct, and the workgroup name is correct. I then realized that I didn't select anything on Computer B to share. When I select an item in Computer B and tic the "Share this folder on the network" in the properties box, I get the following error: " An error occured while trying to share (Name of folder) . The Server service is not started. The shared resource was not created at this time."

I went into Administrative Tools, Services, and tried to start the Server service, and I get the following error message: " Could not start the Server service on Local Computer. Error 2001: The Specified driver is invalid" In the Properties of Server Service, the service is enabled in Hardware Profile 1, Startup type is Automatic.

Both computers have SP1, computer A has some critical updates for IE that Computer B does not have. Oh, and one more thing, this is my first attempt at networking, so the following may be ok, I don't know. When I open My Network Places, and click on View Workgroup Computers, I can see Computer A on B, and Computer A on A also. No sign of B. I am running Zone Alarm, and ran the Network Wizard a number of times, both with ZA on, and off.
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Server Service Won't Start
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Server Service Won't Start
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Server Service Won't Start
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2004 11:43 AM PST

1. My first guess is
Adding "File and Print Sharing" to your network connection should install the server service. If "File and Print Sharing" is installed already, uninstall it, reboot and install it again.

2. If #1 doesn't fix it, post in the XP forum for most eyeballs.

Collapse -
Just saw it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2004 11:44 AM PST

You have ZoneAlarm installed. You killed the network before it started.

Uninstall that.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Server Service Won't Start
by nassok / February 7, 2004 5:25 AM PST

Thanks for the advice Bob. Here's an update on the situation. I uninstalled ZA, ran the Network Wizard on both machines, and everything is exactly the same. I am able to ping both machines with the IP addresses and Computer Names. It seems as though the problem lies in Computer B, because when I go to a file on Computer B, and open the Sharing tab on the properties box, none of the options to share are available.

I think I finally figured out where and how to uninstall and reinstall File and Printer Sharing, so I did that, also with no luck. I have Computer A as NTFS, and B is Fat 32. I disabled, and then reenabled Simple File Sharing on B, and still nothing. B is a new clean install, and shouldn't be the one causing trouble, but it looks like it is. I will take your advice and post this to the XP forum, hopefully somebody can point the direction to turning on file sharing.

Collapse -
Re: Server Service Won't Start
by symbian / August 21, 2004 9:59 AM PDT

Hello,
I am facing the smae problem.
Please advise a solution.
my email is qscvdw AT hotmail.com
Thanx

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

BEST LIST

Find the best hybrids on the market!

Hybrid technology can be applied to any type of car, and the best show the most significant fuel economy improvements over a similar gasoline-only car.