PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Server machine specs..

by raa / June 22, 2005 7:42 AM PDT

I was just wondering what the experts think of a server machine I'm about to build.

This machine will be a web server.
I expect an average load of 1,500 users at it's heaviest, and perhaps a user base of about 1 mil.

There will be database searches, and image downloads happening concurrently. The website will also have a one-on-one chat (php+mysql) app. Each open chat window will check for new messages about every 3 seconds (just simple SELECT COUNT() queries).

Here are the machine specs:

EPOX 9NPA+Ultra mobo. Supports NCQ.
AMD Athlon 64 3500 90nm, Ll 128 KB, L2 512 KB

Seagate ST3120827AS SATA hdd, 7200 rpm. Supports NCQ.

4GB OCZ Premier/Micron Technology RAM 184-Pin DDR 400 (PC 3200)

GigaBit LAN

Hard drive config will be SATA2 RAID 0 (3 disks).

Based on the load average above, the chat, the db searches, etc, should I go with this machine, or should I consider a multiprocessor machine?

BTW, OS will be Fedora core.

Thanks.
Richie.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Server machine specs..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Server machine specs..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell about ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2005 8:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Server machine specs..

The last server you built. How did it turn out?

Bob

Collapse -
The last server
by raa / June 22, 2005 9:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Tell about ...

The last server has similar specs (but only 2BG ram) as this new machine I'm planning. It works great with about 30 domains on it.

However, there isn't any chat app, or sustained neck-breaking traffic like I expect for the new machine.

If anybody has an experience with a high-traffic website comparable to my pending website, I would like to know what hardware is used there.

Collapse -
Look what Microsoft uses.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2005 10:17 AM PDT
In reply to: The last server

They use "farms." Long ago it was found out that mega-machines were not the answer. Too much CPU time is eaten in the task switching alone.

Both RED HAT and SUN Computer can discuss this in detail why single CPUs are usually not the answer for such applications.

Bob

Collapse -
I need to learn..
by raa / June 22, 2005 1:24 PM PDT

Thanks Robert,

What you said makes a lot of sense. I've considered the server farm approach too, and that'll be the eventual port of call.

For now, I think I'll launch the site with a single cpu machine, while I educate myself about what building a server farm entails.

Collapse -
Server machine specs..
by jcrobso / June 23, 2005 3:08 AM PDT

Also most servers have dual NICs in them. I assume that you have a T1 line.
You could upgrade to an AMD64 dual core later on. Yes a dual processor would be better.
Check out server boards at newegg.com
http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=302
Maybe a Dual Processor MB and add the second processor later.
If I were doing this I would put the OS on a seprate HD from the raid data drives, but thats just me. John

Collapse -
by raa / June 23, 2005 6:37 AM PDT

Hello John,

>Also most servers have dual NICs in them.

The number of NICs in a machine depends on what you're doing with it. Sometimes all you need is one.

>I assume that you have a T1 line.

My connection will be 758K upstream initially. That should suffice for the first year or so.

>You could upgrade to an AMD64 dual core later on. Yes a dual processor would be better.

I'm contemplating setting up a server farm as suggested by Rob. I'll see if my budget can support multiprocessor machines.

>If I were doing this I would put the OS on a seprate HD from the raid data drives, but thats just me.

Please shed more light on this. What are the advantages of doing this?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.