Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

\\server\folder is not accessible

by strontium--2008 / January 4, 2005 9:15 PM PST

Dear All

I have 4 computers networked at home through an SMC 7404 wbra router/ adsl modem/ acess point/ print server. The problem I describe predates this however, back to a time when it was a peer to peer wireless only network.

Currently computers c and d are connected wirelessly, and a and b are wired to the router.

b,c and d can all see each other and access each others shared folders and files (as can a), but they cannot access shared folders / files on a (and never have been able to).

I would like b, c and d to be able to pull files from a - at the moment a can send files to them, but they cannot access files on a.

On trying to access a shared folder on a the full error message is:
"\\server\folder is not accessible. You might not have permission to access this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Not enough server resource is available to process this command."

I have made changes, suggested elsewhere, to remedy the last part of the above message, but it still appears.

All systems are running XPpro patched to SP2.

System a is a pc chips M848A motherboard
Athlon XP2800+ processor
IBM 60GB HDD
On board LAN connection
Using AVG anti virus and windows firewall on all machines.
Printing from all machines is ok as is internet access.
As far as I can tell the sharing properties of each drive are ok, and firewall permissions are correct.

Interestingly enough, the motherboard is new and the hdd has been completely reformatted and XPpro reinstalled, but the problem existed prior to this change.

Any help anyone can give on this would be welcome, as I've tried for months to fix it.

Many thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: \\server\folder is not accessible
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: \\server\folder is not accessible
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
same problem
by mlee23 / January 17, 2005 1:21 AM PST

i've got the same problem on a slightly smaller scale. there are some hints on the Microsoft user forum site but i've tryed the suggestions and haven't had any success..not sure I applyed the fixes properly.

hope someone comes to our rescue. very frustrating

Collapse -
same problem
by mcgauze / January 20, 2005 8:25 PM PST
In reply to: same problem

It sounds like your machines maybe exsisting on different workgroups or domains. Also check that they all exsist on the same subnet, and that your router isnt prevent certain traffic (access list).

Collapse -
re Same Problem
by strontium--2008 / January 22, 2005 7:13 AM PST

Thanks for the reply guys. The routeer seems to be transmitting all traffic. Domain and workgroup names are ok. I've just noticed, however, that one of the machines uses Windows Logon, while the rest use Client for Microsoft Networks. I'll have a look at that and see if it makes a difference when changed.

Collapse -
Success!!
by strontium--2008 / February 13, 2005 9:01 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?