General discussion

Server 2003 backup software

We just had our server explode and need to set up a new one. The original one had Veritas backup, but I am told you can no longer purchase that or get support for it. Does anyone have any recommendations for a replacement backup software? We need to be able to backup the server onto a secondary machine. All suggestions and comments very welcome.

Thanks
Barb

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Server 2003 backup software
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Server 2003 backup software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Why not go native?
- Collapse -
go native

from what I read, will the windows backup duplicate the entire computer (system, softwares, files, etc.)? It read to me like it only does files. I need to be able to backup the entire server and all the network operations. This is a domain server.

- Collapse -
Would not work out well.

Having helped a person duplicate the drive I then let them try the drive in a nearly identical machine and guess what? The OS would not boot. Ok, repair the OS. OS is booting but not one app worth noting was working because they wanted to activate.

There is a way to get around all this if you consider virtualizing the server but that's a discussion for a seminar.
Bob

- Collapse -
True Image or Todo Backup

In fact, I'm the fan of Acronis. Beautiful interface and stable features are my favorites.
But here, for SBS server backup programs. I have to say I prefer ToDo Backup.
Firstly, I've checked todo backup server version under sbs 2008. Everything goes well, including the system backup and restore, file backup and restore, system based hdd cloning, incremental backup, universal restore, snapshot... I checked all these features and made a comparison between these two, I found there is almost the same pretty good backup programs here.
Everybody knows True Image sells seperately, and the price is always higher than others, but todo backup is an all-in-one program with a cheaper price.
Based the same feature undergroud, the price would be important for sbs servers.
So here, ToDo Backup is better than sbs server users.
You may find here:
http://www.todo-backup.com/business/server-backup.htm
http://www.acronis.com/backup-recovery/

- Collapse -
Looks like you did not read the question.

Those backup programs do not address what happens when you restore to another machine. The OS still fails to boot and more.

--> If you read what they are after I think they are ready to virtualize their servers.

Can you help with that?
Bob

- Collapse -
todo backup

My
favorite is easeus todo backup. It is easy to use and relatively cheaper!

- Collapse -
Cheap failure at least.

Read the requirements and this fails the original poster.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info