Computer Help forum

General discussion

Serious Problem (please help)

by suleman1uk / March 20, 2004 1:12 AM PST

First of all i cant access my computer (the one i am currently using to write this message is at my college)

anyway the problem is that i can switch on my PC, but when i come to the Windowns Log In screen i get an error message saying "A required .Dll file, C:\Windows\System\Shlwapi.dll, was not found. I then click ok and type my passowrd (or click Cancel) a white window pops up saying "Error loading Explorer.Exe You must reinstall windows".

Now the question is is there anyway to get into my PC cos i want some of the files that were there (documents, media files) Can that be done in anyway?

If not what has to be done, an FDISK? and then the installation of windows (I am using Windows 98 SE)

Please help

Thank You

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Serious Problem (please help)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Serious Problem (please help)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How to get those files...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2004 2:01 AM PST

"Now the question is is there anyway to get into my PC cos i want some of the files that were there (documents, media files) Can that be done in anyway?"

I shared how at http://tips.oncomputers.info/archives2004/0401/2004-Jan-11.htm Just boot your KNOPPIX CD and drag/burn your files to CDR.

As to your issue, are you still debating what ANTIVIRUS to get?

The last I read, you might not have had any.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:How to get those files...
by suleman1uk / March 20, 2004 11:25 PM PST

no i did no have an antivirus installed

Collapse -
"no i did no have an antivirus installed"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2004 12:46 AM PST

I wish you well, but with free antivirus available, what's stopping you?

Your problems will continue unabated without such. In the past, one could "practice safe hex" and get by.

This is no longer true.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Serious Problem (please help)
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 20, 2004 4:14 AM PST

Suleman,

Do you have the "Windows 98 SE" CD? If you do, then you can try reinstalling Windows without formatting or fdisking which would erase your important data. If you can start the computer into "normal" Windows, simply place the CD in the CD-Rom, then open the CD-Rom drive and run "Setup.exe" listed there. The link below will describe the process also.

How to Reinstall Windows 98

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Re:Serious Problem (please help)
by suleman1uk / March 20, 2004 11:28 PM PST

Grif i cant get to the desktop (so i cant cilck RUN or Access "my computer"

Collapse -
NT - If you haven't ''reinstalled'' yet from MS-DOS, no you can't -- see reference.
by Cursorcowboy / March 21, 2004 12:33 AM PST

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Serious Problem (please help)
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 21, 2004 10:20 AM PST

Suleman,

As Cursorcowboy shows above, you'll need to do the reinstall from a DOS prompt. The article I listed earlier shows how to do that, but here is a direct link to those instructions:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2fsupport%2fwindows%2freadme%2f98%2fW98setuptxt.asp

Normally, you can restart the computer into DOS with a Win98 boot floppy in the floppy drive, choose "Start with CD-Rom Support" when the selection screen comes up, then use DOS commands to navigate to the CD-Rom drive where you should have the Win98 CD placed, then type "setup.exe" at the drive's DOS prompt. Then follow the instructions from the link in my last post.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by Kees Bakker / March 20, 2004 6:23 AM PST

The shlwapi.dll comes with IE. Versions might vary.

The best to do, in my opinion, find a computer with the same OS and the same version of IE as you had (including, if possible, the same patches). Then copy the file to diskette. On your computer boot into MS-DOS and copy it from diskette to \windows\system.

This are the instructions from e-e:

cd\windows\system
(changes directory to the Windows\System folder)

copy a:shlwapi.dll
(copies the floppy version of shlwapi.dll to the directory you are in, namely Windows\System)

And, as I said above, I think you may need to use the regsvr32 command:

regsvr32.exe shlwapi.dll
("registers" the new version of shlwapi.dll with Windows.)

The version from http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?shlwapi might work also (or not), if you can't find a comparable computer.

Another possible solution, also inspired by e-e, but you need a CD (most ISP's or magazines give them away) with your version of IE on it. After booting in MS-DOS use EDIT to change the shell= in c:\windows\system.ini from explorer.exe to fileman.exe or progman.exe (old Windows 3.11 GUI, uses 8.3 filenames!). Then boot again, and this program pops up. Use it to browse to the IE setup on that CD and run that. With IE succesfully setup, again go into EDIT to undo you change and make explorer.exe your shell again (or copy the backup of system.ini you made before changing it).

After making a backup of system.ini, you could even make that setup-program your shell. A rather unusual one, but it serves for one time only!

Hope this helps.

Kees

Kees

Collapse -
by suleman1uk / March 20, 2004 11:31 PM PST

sorry but the one i am usign has an older version of IE

Collapse -
(NT) Things can't get worse if you try that, can they?
by Kees Bakker / March 21, 2004 2:25 AM PST

Collapse -
by computertech / March 21, 2004 1:06 PM PST

i can tell you this, since i have had alot of problems with windowsSE or i have messed up in the past and have deleted some important files, you can do this.. it has worked for me nurmorus times!
first off. if you have your windows 98SE boot disk floppy then insert it and then start up with it in and let it install the drivers for a cd rom. next place the cdrom of windows 98SE in the drive and at the dos prompt type in the word setup from your cd rom drive letter.. ex: d:\setup and just follow the prompts as though you are installing windows fresh.. now here is the trick. you are not loosing any information on your hard drive, what you are doing is reinstalling windows over windows. if it gives you a prompt to save your old files IE: old windows files, dont save them. after you have completed the install you will have a copy of windows installed and the files that are missing will be replaced.. hope this helps. if not please contact me at Jeff.bridges@verizon.net and i can try to help you much better..

Collapse -
by greta / March 21, 2004 1:24 PM PST

another solution is to boot the computer from DOS and
copy what you need to a CD or Floppies or a backup of somekind.
If you have an old (begged or borrowed) tape drive that should work.

Good Luck

Have you searched for the missing .dll at the Microsoft site.
I have a computer running 98 and do have the .dll if you cannot find it on the Microscoft site.
BTW........it goes in the Windows/System directory

Collapse -
by lunar1210 / March 22, 2004 1:15 AM PST

I suggest that you take your win98 cd or borrow one and just reload windows. You will not have to fdisk your system.

Collapse -
by suleman1uk / March 22, 2004 2:55 AM PST

well my brother is calling someone who seems to know a lot bout computers (he wont let me touch it, for now) and here are the commands he said will work, is it right?

Hi and welcome to SAF.

You can try this:

Boot to a startup floppy

A:\>D:

Where D: is the CD-ROM drive with the Windows 98 CD in it.

D:\>cd win98

D:\win98>extract /a /y /e /l c:\windows\system base4.cab shlwapi.dll

Or, if the Windows 98 cab files are on the hard disk drive in the usual place:

A:\>C:

C:\>cd \windows\options\cabs

extract /a /y /e /l c:\windows\system base4.cab shlwapi.dll

Finish

so....are they right(two options)

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Serious Problem (please help)
by Cursorcowboy / March 22, 2004 4:19 AM PST
Collapse -
by zchuckz / March 23, 2004 3:02 AM PST

I had the same problem and tried re-istalling windows. I was useing windows ME and it did not work had to fdisk. I saved all my stuff by putting a new hard drive in and using the old drive as a secondary slave. My solution will cost you $100.00 or so, but in my case fdisk was not an option....I needed my data

Collapse -
by guru101 / March 22, 2004 2:54 PM PST

restar your cpu before it come on press F8 start cpu in safe mode copy files on disk then reinstall windows or windows files fom your windows cd supremebein@msn.com

Collapse -
by stu-eyris / March 26, 2004 12:28 AM PST

there are a couple of ways to solve this problem and save your files, one the least risky is to plug ur hard drive into another pc and take the files off then format the drive and reinstall windows.

the other its to boot windows from the windows cd, this doesent always work though.

i sugest that you do my first sugestion, once you have got your files and reinstalled your pc, i sugest that you create a new partition on you hard drive, you can either do this in Fdisk though i dont know the exact commands, or purchase a copy of partiton magic, and have windows on one partition, and you data on another, as for programs there are conflicting views depending on who you ask, i would sugest that you have them on your windows partition, as they are replacable, your files are not.

you may no this but i will say it any way partitions act like indipendent drives, so when you format one the other stays exactley as you left it, i had the same problem with a few pcs and found that this was the best way to prevent data loss

though eitehr way you need to reinstall windows

hope that helps

stu

Collapse -
by suleman1uk / March 27, 2004 7:54 AM PST

Problem is sorted Happy

Collapse -
Lots of good people have tried to help....
by Papa Echo / March 27, 2004 10:45 PM PST

you. Please, pray, tell how did you sort it out ? At least two of the suggestions works. Which one did you go for ?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.