Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

(SERIOUS PROBLEM!) No sound coming from sound card!

by TheAnt317 / November 8, 2010 1:21 AM PST

I've had my Dell XPS 410 for over 4 years now. Just yesterday I decided to download a program called DriverMax to find driver updates on my computer. I started with my sound card, a Sigmatel Audio Integrated Audio card. It found an update (version 5.10.5881.0 as listed on its website) and I downloaded it, created a restore point, installed it with the program (as it comes in a file that only DriverMax can decipher) and then restarted. To my shock, there was no sound coming from the computer now. In fact, in my Sound Properties, the Mixer Device for SigmaTel Audio is now GONE.

I attempted a restore point, restarted, and still no sound. I tried to find an update on Windows Update, but nothing. I then tried Google, and found a similar CNET discussion, where I downloaded an EXE file, R153908.EXE, which was an official SigmaTel driver installer. I installed that, restarted, and still no sound.

I'm now running out of options and wondering how it's possible for my audio to be disabled so easily. I'd just like to bring my sound back, WITHOUT having to reformat my computer, which is not a possibility for me. I'm also running Windows XP SP3. Any help is much appreciated, thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: (SERIOUS PROBLEM!) No sound coming from sound card!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: (SERIOUS PROBLEM!) No sound coming from sound card!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a thought. Since it's a Dell.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2010 1:27 AM PST

Why not go to dell.com, put in your machine's SERVICE TAG number and get the driver from Dell?
Bob

Collapse -
Oh man
by TheAnt317 / November 8, 2010 1:58 AM PST

I didn't know it was that simple. Now I feel foolish for panicking. Thanks very much!

Collapse -
If folk don't ask.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2010 1:59 AM PST
In reply to: Oh man

How would they know? Let's see if that helps first.

Collapse -
It worked
by TheAnt317 / November 10, 2010 12:42 AM PST
In reply to: If folk don't ask.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, but yes it did work. I just assumed you knew my question was answered.

Collapse -
Problem.
by mattyisbest3 / November 29, 2010 12:33 AM PST
In reply to: It worked

i have a similar problem with my windows xp media edition. we were cleaning out the randomstuff we dont need in add/remove programs and i think we accidentally deleted the realtek audio driver. i installed a more recent version of realtek audio driver but it has no sound. we tested it on windows media player 11 and it keeps saying=

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly."

we think that is the only problem, however in My Computer(right-click)>Properties>Hardware Tab>Device Manager>Other Devices>Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus, it says we need to reinstall this driver, but i have tried to reinstall it but it said we needed a floppy disk to complete the installation.

Collapse -
How similar?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2010 12:45 AM PST
In reply to: Problem.

You have a Dell as well? (you don't say.)

Collapse -
No.
by mattyisbest3 / November 29, 2010 2:57 AM PST
In reply to: How similar?

i have an Acer Aspire Desktop. i am currently trying to redownload an audio driver...

Collapse -
Then it's not a similar issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2010 3:48 AM PST
In reply to: No.

If you read this discussion we had a dell, and we find drivers a very specific way.

This does not work the same for an Acer (no service tag). You may want to take more care in your posts with all the details needed for others to help you find an answer.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!