iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

General discussion

Serious iPod Problem

by senor-ding-dong / December 31, 2009 10:17 PM PST

I just connected my iPod to another one of my computers to put more music on it, and all of a sudden, the ipod, itunes, and the whole computer seized during the synch.

Eventually I regained control, but my ipod was displaying a grey screen with an apple logo in white. I had never seen this before.
All of a sudden, things went back to normal but the entire ipod had been wiped.

Once I had calmed down, I reconnected the ipod and recieved this message...
<iTunes can not read the contents of 'X iPod'. Go to the summary tab in iPod preferences and click Restore to restore this iPod to factory settings.>

Can anybody explain to me what exactly happened or anyway to get my music back?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Serious iPod Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Serious iPod Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
sPECIFICS
by senor-ding-dong / December 31, 2009 10:22 PM PST
In reply to: Serious iPod Problem

Sorry, just to ad the specifics.
It's a black 80GB iPod, not sure which gen. (it can play videos if that helps)
I have been using it mostly with itunes on a vista pc.
The aforementioned second computer is a Macbook running the latest Mac OS.

Collapse -
Ahh, the added wrinkle
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 31, 2009 10:39 PM PST
In reply to: sPECIFICS

Windows machines cannot read a Mac formatted disk, although a Mac can read a Windows formatted disk. This applies to iPods too.

The tracks on the Windows machine would be wiped off the iPod when it was connected to the Mac and told to sync, IF, the music that was on the Vista machine was not also on the Mac.

The iPod sync is a one way affair. When the sync takes place, iTunes checks to see if tracks are present on both the iPod and Computer and then erases tracks from the iPod if the tracks do not exist on the computer.
It's possible that iTunes hiccuped during the sync process and left you with nothing on the iPod.
Just put the iPod back on the Vista box, re-sync and you should be back in business.

P

Collapse -
re-synch
by senor-ding-dong / December 31, 2009 11:57 PM PST
In reply to: Ahh, the added wrinkle

Yes I know that the sync will automatically re-write everything on the iPod. The problem is though that I had it set to manual so that the iTunes would not automatically erase the tracks it didn't recognise.

With that said, iTunes on the Mac didn't put it's tracks onto the iPod.
There's absolutley nothing on it.
And now it's directing me towards a factory re-store.

Collapse -
Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2010 2:36 AM PST
In reply to: re-synch

Moving the ipod from Apple to Windows machines is known to end with formatting that pod.

Simple advice follows. "Don't do that."

Collapse -
Gotcha
by senor-ding-dong / January 1, 2010 3:22 AM PST
In reply to: Yup.

Ok, so the simple advice here is that, once I format my iPod with a windows machine, I can use it on that computer and any other windows machine around but never ever on an Apple machine.
And vice versa.

Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
(NT) That's about it,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 1, 2010 4:01 AM PST
In reply to: Gotcha
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.