PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Serious Internet Connection Problem

by ais000 / May 16, 2010 8:23 AM PDT

Hi All,

I have had a serious internet connection problem for 2 weeks. Here is some background. I had Norton running on my Lenovo T61 laptop from the time I bought it (about 2 years ago). At some point a few months ago I realized that through my job I could get McAfee for $10 which I assumed was going to be better than the Norton I had for free. I uninstalled Norton, installed McAfee and everything was quiet until 2 weeks ago. Two weeks ago all of a sudden I had this window pop up about some anti-virus software that was scanning my computer. I quickly found out this was a virus by searching the internet. At that point I was pretty frantic and downloaded lots of the best free anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-everything software available one-by-one to delete whatever problems existed on my laptop. I used Malware, Superantispyware, AVG, Avira, Spybot, A-squared, ASR, etc. Each of them typically found at least something to delete. I tried to be careful about not running multiple scans at the same time but this wasn't always the case since I was frantic.

Here is where I stand now: it looks as though all the malware has been removed from my laptop (although PC Doctor claims there is more but I have to pay to remove it and I figured it was just a ploy to get me to pay, which I did not do), but for 2 weeks now my internet connection could last from as little as 10 seconds up to an hour even, before going down. Before assuming it is my wireless, keep in mind I NEVER had a problem with my wireless connection until all these problems started 2 weeks ago. I have been forced to disable and re-enable my wireless every time it goes down in order to get it temporarily working again. I have browsed forums all over the internet for the last 2 weeks, where I tried literally every solution suggested... and nothing works. And one more problem is that I am unable to install Windows Updates, and I am also unable to install Thinkvantage System Updates (an update tool that comes with Lenovo laptops).

I am running Windows Vista Premium, Service Pack 2, 32-bit OS

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Serious Internet Connection Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Serious Internet Connection Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?