Computer Help forum

General discussion

serious graphical and overheating(?) problems. please help

by lemonsworth / January 2, 2012 6:29 PM PST

A while back small green dots started showing up in my games. They weren't on the screen, but on the textures. And they showed up in several games so i know it wasn't a problem with them. After a while the dots dissapeared and insted the screen started to snow little black dots, sometimes light sometimes heavly. This was usualy fixed by restarting, and only showed up in a few games. However, a little while after that the models and textures started to tear and streak. Im prety shour its a heat issue, but i dont know with what. I'v cleaned out the cpu and the graphics card but its still happening. This is a screenshot of the most reacent event. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/808/2012010300001.jpg/.
as for my compuers specs:
Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Pentium E5200 @ 2.50GHz 62 °C
Wolfdale 45nm Technology
RAM
3.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz (6-6-6-18)
Motherboard
MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD MS-7512 (CPU 1) 68 °C
Graphics
CM2017 (1280x1024@60Hz)
ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (ATI AIB) 57 °C
Hard Drives
78GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG SV8004H ATA Device (PATA) 36 °C
78GB Seagate ST380013A ATA Device (PATA) 52 °C
156GB Maxtor Maxtor 6Y160M0 ATA Device (SATA) 68 °C
156GB Seagate ST3160812AS ATA Device (SATA) 48 °C
Optical Drives
OPTIARC DVD-ROM DDU1681S ATA Device
DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: serious graphical and overheating(?) problems. please help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: serious graphical and overheating(?) problems. please help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More shots
by lemonsworth / January 2, 2012 6:48 PM PST
Collapse -
Sys issue(s)
by pgc3 / January 3, 2012 12:22 AM PST
In reply to: More shots

And what is your PSU capability?

Collapse -
500W
by lemonsworth / January 3, 2012 3:45 AM PST
In reply to: Sys issue(s)

It's a 500W

Collapse -
When I add it up.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2012 3:57 AM PST
In reply to: 500W

Looks cramped. 4 HDDs is a tip off something is a miss. Any chance of

1. Doing the heat sink compound work?
2. Pulling back to a single HDD?

Collapse -
Heat, stress, etc.
by pgc3 / January 3, 2012 4:31 AM PST
In reply to: 500W

As Bob and Willy stated, cleaning, heatsink compound are maintenance procedures that could help. But it sounds as if you have the sytem loaded up a bit, especially if you are trying to overclock. I am still suspicious of the PSU as to adequacy, that is not to say it might not be another hdwe issue. 500W might not be sufficient to the task.

Collapse -
The usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2012 12:23 AM PST

1. Remove the side cover and point a fan at the machine. (done)
2. Replace the heat sink compound on all heat sinks.
3. Replace all failed fans.

Collapse -
Heat stress
by Willy / January 3, 2012 4:02 AM PST

The issue with heat problems, the damage may already been done. Heat stress finds the weakest link and once you correct for it as in cleaning, it maybe too late. I can suggest you continue to maintain a clean system but overall, if the problem persists only a replacement may do. The bits of color or streak so whatever is called, "artifacts" that found a poor or lacking video card that can't keep up or has started to breakdown. Cooling becomes all too inm important so that should be present before the problems start. Some fixes have already been provided, if they don't correct it or lessen the problem, then it maybe time to swap out the video card. While a PSU may be a cause if the power isn't present to drive the video card as well. Here you get a larger PSU that's more capable to handle the heat as it too can fall to heat stress.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?