Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Serious Firefox issues

by hollyfurby / March 29, 2009 7:19 PM PDT

When I open Firefox it goes crazy it is the new edition 3.8 I believe. When I search in google everything comes up backwards. I searched msn and in google it typed nsm. When I go to my bookmarks everything on top opens like I don't have control I can't stop all the things bookmarks, tools, and history from opening It is like it is shuffling through them really fast. I did a system restore and I uninstalled mozilla firefox. When I reinstalled it was the same thing. I noticed this right after I went to the site breakdotcom. What could this be? IE is okay I downloaded Opera and it seems to be ok. I know I am rambleing on but I am panicked.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Serious Firefox issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Serious Firefox issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by white-bread / March 30, 2009 4:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Serious Firefox issues

That is what it is.
Time to start cleaning.

Collapse -
It is
by hollyfurby / March 30, 2009 5:17 PM PDT
In reply to: exploit

Affecting Thunderbird also the same way. I uninstalled thunderbird. I downloaded a 30 day trial of Kerspersky and I scanned and it listed a ton of viruses but it will not remove them. I don't know what the hell to do. I uninstalled Kerspersky and I did a Trend micro trial and all it found was 4 cookies. I am at a loss! Why would something give you a list of "highly Dangerous Viruses" and do nothing to remove them. I would have bought Kerspesky Right away if it would have given me some hope of removel.

Collapse -
What is your security protocol?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 30, 2009 9:14 PM PDT
In reply to: It is

It seems from your post that you haven't had one.

What you need;

1] A firewall.

At the very least turn the Windows firewall on. I assume you are using one of the Windows OSs, but you didn't say.

Better still, get the free version of ZoneAlarm from

2] An Anti-virus utility. There are plenty of free ones available and I thought Kaspersky had one as well, but it seems it does not. So try AVG 8.5 free version, or Avira or Avast. This AV has to be running in the background all the time. It must have its virus definitions updated every day, and you should perform a full system scan daily.

3] More than one Anti-spyware utility. At least one of which runs continuously in the background.

Malware takes many forms. Viruses are the most dangerous to a system, but spyware can spy on your and steal your personal data. There are many types of spyware and just one anti-spyware utility is not enough.

Be careful. There are many 'rogue' anti-spyware utilities out there. Choose carefully.

I use Microsoft's Windows Defender as my 'running in the background' scanner. It updates automatically and I perform a full scan once a week.

I also use MalwareBytes AntiMalware, MBAM from Athough it says free to try, the only limitation on the free version is that it does not update automatically. You get to do that yourself.

If I were you I would download that now, install it and update it, and run a full scan immediately.

There is also SUPERAntispyware, a utility often recommended in these forums, but not one I have tried yet.

Collapse -
I have
by hollyfurby / March 31, 2009 5:12 AM PDT

always had protection so I can't understand how this happened. My firewall is Sunbelt kerio. My antivirus is Avast. I have spybot search and destroy, Spyware blaster, Adaware, and malwarebytes. these are all free programs. I am running windows xp service pack 3. My internet is through Charter cable.

I have now downloaded AVG internet security after I ran it all it comes up with is cookies no virus.

When I tried to type in Thunderbird everything came up backwards. I tried to download firefox again and it was still doing the same thing so I uninstalled it again. I don't know what else to do.

Collapse -
Serious Firefox issues
by stevezachjohnson / April 5, 2009 1:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Serious Firefox issues

Despite being a firefox issue I found it kind of funny... It's like as if you have a double sided mirror for a monitor. lol I haven't encountered that problem with my Firefox, maybe you should do what has been suggested, do a thorough cleaning and reinstall your browser, oh and make sure you clean up the cokies and temp files well..

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?