HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Serious desktop problem !

by mahutchinson / May 10, 2008 8:49 AM PDT

This is a serious (and maybe complicated) problem I have and might be a bit cheeky posting it but I would like to find a check list of things I can do to get back up and running. Basically I had a PC made at Eclipse around August 2006 and it quite often used to freeze so I had to turn it off from the front switch (it had no switch on the back). It seemed machanically a bit dodgy and also took about 10 mins before you could turn it on again. It started getting worse and eventually it would turn off again as soon as it booted and finally would not start at all. I thought it was the power supply but there is some power as I get a green light on the front but no red light indicating disk action. The hard disk works as I have tested it. Does this leave the motherboard or OS ? I have no access to the dvd drives and the machine does not boot at all. My last PC from the supplier was fine but this one seems inferior and I can't work out the problem. As it is well over a year now I don't want to try and return it and am also thinking I may have made the problem worse myself. Is there any series of actions I can take to check and get the thing up and running ? Spec is:-

Asrock 775 Dual-Vista LGA775, PCI-E/AGP8x, DDR2, 7.15nd, ATX

XP MCE

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz LGA775

1024Mb Dual Channel DDR2 667 Mhz memory

256Mb GeForce 7600GS VGA card

200Gb Maxtor Diamond S-ATA I/II 300 HD

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Serious desktop problem !
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Serious desktop problem !
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How to test.
by welrdelr / May 11, 2008 4:43 AM PDT

If you want to know if it is a hardware problem.
Have someone burn you a KNoppix live CD- english not german release- and verify the MD5 sum. They can test it by rebooting the computer while it is in the drive.
Standard set up parameters: At first prompt type "knoppix screen=1280x1024 depth=24" and enter.
Let it boot.
After audio signaling of "Initiating startup sequence," go to the K in the bottom left corner.
Go to control panel
choose peripherals
choose keyboard
set repeat to 15/sec
click apply
X out.
Hit NUm Lock to enable it.
Iceweasel is firefox. Green blob on task bar.
click
Let it open. SEt your preferences by clicking edit and opening there.
Type any url in the bar and hit enter.
If this works, then it is your OS.
If it doesn't, it is your hardware.

Collapse -
Drives
by mahutchinson / May 11, 2008 8:02 AM PDT
In reply to: How to test.

Thanks for the post but I have no access to the drives as mentioned as they won't open. I will have to get an adapter to power them up I guess.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.