Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Serious computer problems

by aira / November 20, 2004 3:39 AM PST

Recently we have had serious computer malfunction problems in the company I work with. It starts with Windows programs such as the Windows Explorer, or the Control Panel etc. giving the "Program not responding" message and the user having to end the program. Sometimes applications run much slower than expected. Also there are problems connected with hardware such as certain keys of the keyboard not always responding, "memory cannot be read" messages and generally devices not working as expected. The company is protected by MacAffee which is updated regularly and the scan did not find a virus. We don't know what to do.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Serious computer problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Serious computer problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Serious computer problems
by roddy32 / November 20, 2004 3:58 AM PST

It might be a good idea to check for spyware. MacAfee does viruses but not much in the way of spyware. What do you use for that?

Collapse -
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 20, 2004 11:18 AM PST

It sounds like "neglect"....When was the last time a tech or administrator checked ALL of the computers? Unfortunately, most companies don't do a lot of "maintenance" on their computers. I'm not sure how large your company is, but it takes a lot of time to keep the Windows patches current, plus run Scandisk/Chkdsk and Defrag on a routing basis. BUT someone needs to do it. The welfare of each computer will also depend on how often each user visits the internet. I work for an agency of some 8-10,000 computers of which I oversee about 30 or so. Like your's, almost all of them use McAfee as a antivirus solution, but there is a lot more going on behind the scenes. The agency uses McAfee's "ePO" program which allows for remote administrative computers to automatically install programs and update all computers on its' network. It also uses "gateway" software which prevents certain types of intrusion attempts, plus our Exchange mail server checks incoming mail and spam. In addition, I monitor and maintain all those computers that I am responsible for, just to make sure that all users and their computers are working well.

In your case, there are a number of things to do including making sure each computer is cleaned up regularly and depending on the operating system, Scandisk/Chkdsk and Disk Defragmenter are run on a regular basis. Make sure that all the current service packs and Windows Updates are applied as necessary. As "Roddy" mentioned above, you also need to check for spyware on each computer.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by BastiaN / November 21, 2004 11:34 AM PST

Hi Aira, I think you should pay attention too to your hardware. Verify your hard drive, RAM memory, processor, etc.. is working well (scandisk for HD).
Because it could be a hardware problem (the memory error doesn?t appear without a reason).

Good luck with that...

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?